Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heart problems

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    Great advice! I didnt think of that. As for fish, we will be doing broiled or seared salmon, naturally caught only. And i havent had milk in over a year since i learned how milk is processed from the big money farms...gross stuff. I do almond milk instead. One of my favorite foods is whole grain cereal (no sugary stuff), with almond milk and fresh fruit. Ive been eating that for a couple of years now and i noticed something, the last doctors visit before i started doing that, my cholesterol and blood pressure was high. Since then, my cholesterol has come down quite a bit, and my blood pressure has been perfect.

Giving up soda and salt, and adding healthier foods has done good things so far. Also, i dont stress about much, im very animated in person and say what i feel (within the limits of decency and respect, of course). Basically, im a happy person who realizes my mortality as a reality and i see no reason to fear it. But i am only 45 years old, i see no need to rush it either. I dont smoke or drink, my marriage is great and i see life as an adventure full of new things to learn, but you cant avoid everything...shit happens. We all need some help sometimes and my wife is priceless. And if you tune across 20 ssb on any given day, you will hear all sorts of armchair doctors so asking hams seems like a great idea.

As for going Vegan? I dont think i need to take it to that extreme, it seems like more of a personal opinion method as opposed to a viable healthy choice. It sure seems like they cut out a lot of protiens the body needs. Ill stick with pseudo-vegetarian for now. :)
    How is it working for you Adam? My ex partner moved out. I have returned to my vegan ways, which is easier to do single. I got out my juicer. I am tired of being sick, and taking pills.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Banned
    Will power, if you think you deserve to eat (too much) you will. For breakfast I have either extra thick oatmeal (small amount) with 10 oz 1% milk, or 1 large egg (fried in ev olive oil) on 1 slice of whole wheat cut in half & 3 oz grapefruit juice.
    I eat plenty of junk food though, beer, tortilla chips, mayo, some butter. Out of shape but 168 lbs (in the buff) at 5'10''.

Eat tasty food, it will satisfy you better. Spices are your friend.

All the best in your endeavors. May that ticker go another 200k miles for you.
    Last edited by kc7jty; 06-12-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Tim, unless you have a partner who is helping you, it is difficult to do in a relationship. I believe it to be easier by yourself. Good to see you get back to those healthy ways. I believe the medical industry is no longer on our side, they seem to be money motivated these days, so anything you can do to ween ourselves off of meds and crippled dependence on doctors visits and pharmie wonder drugs, is a great bet. I am doing great with the new diet, no meat except fish, and finding new combinations every day. Ive also lost about 8 lbs. Im sure my next check up will be considerable better. We also have a juicer and will be using it a lot more as we go along. Sorry to hear about your relationship, though. If anything good can come of it, its better health.

Bill, Thank you. Fortunately, heart troubles are not apparent in my family line...insanity is, but thats preferable. I can live with that, lol. Sounds like you are on a good path, and not overweight at all. Im happy to finally reach 215 for the first time in a long time. I wasnt too far off from that, and i am proportionate to my height/weight, but would like to trim down. The first change i wanted to make was how i thought. I didnt need to find comfort in food, it was only an illusion. As a man who prides himself on personal control, why would i allow something so simple to do that, so i took it back and started looking at food as sustinence only...with the occasional healthy treat. It was much easier than i was giving it credit for.
    In my line of work, i have to maintain a somewhat youthful look, even at 45. Cant fight aging, im just trying to make it easier on myself.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Banned
    I snack on the lowest sugar added vanilla yogurt I can find,
    and also raisin bran w 1% milk.

"Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    I snack on the lowest sugar added vanilla yogurt I can find,
    and also raisin bran w 1% milk.
    Hey, didn't you hear? Vanilla yogurt causes testicular cancer.

​(Just kidding)
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    I am tired of being sick, and taking pills.

That is the first, and the most important, step along a road to recovery. Best of luck to you. With an attitude, you can do it.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Agreed! A positive outlook is some powerful medicine.

I try to laugh several times a day, its easy since i find all kinds of shit funny.

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    I try to laugh several times a day, its easy since i find all kinds of shit funny.
    A monkey humping a football is always funny.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    A monkey humping a football is always funny.
    It sure is!