Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardboard Art

Cardboard Art

Haven't been around much (miss you guys) -- got a ton of family and work stuff going on here and it's hard to find time for anything related to leisure.

This ain't art, but managed to get away for a couple hours with the wife last Saturday. We went to the Denver Zoo and were treated to a playful performance from a resident polar bear. I bought a Nikon D7000 right before Christmas and planned to have a lot of pictures from the beaches of Cancun (trip canceled the day before we planned to leave).

Photographic excellence it ain't, but maybe a little fun. This sequence was taken in 12 seconds with the 18-105 VR "kit" lens and a lot of frames were left out. I was pushing the limits of speed on the memory card and the guy next to me took one shot with about $6,000 worth of Canon gear.

Last edited by kf0rt; 04-20-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Good to see ya man.
    and yer stuff...cool.
    rot
    "In the field of opportunity, it's plowing time again."
    N.Young

Those Canon fanbois are such douches.

Now that I have that out of the way, nice texture in the bear's fur as well as the water stills.

Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    Good to see ya man.
    and yer stuff...cool.
    rot
    Need to get out more... seriously. I soooo wanna be retired. Me and the other millions.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Those Canon fanbois are such douches.

Now that I have that out of the way, nice texture in the bear's fur as well as the water stills.
    Yeah, it was kinda weird. Saw a lot of Nikons, but the real high-end stuff was Canon. Just a snapshooter here, I'm learning... Hope to get better at it, but if I had a 5D Mk II with a $4K lens, I'm not sure I'd be at the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    Yeah, it was kinda weird. Saw a lot of Nikons, but the real high-end stuff was Canon. Just a snapshooter here, I'm learning... Hope to get better at it, but if I had a 5D Mk II with a $4K lens, I'm not sure I'd be at the zoo.
    I do half the pics you see posted here with a 4mp pocket camera. If you look carefully you can tell but sometimes after the processing through PS, you can't tell. PS doesn't make up for lack of quality but sometimes you don't need a million mpxs and super large glass.

Cool pictures Rob. The Denver Zoo is decent, and the Botanical Gardens rock. I have a new point and shoot cheapie, but it's 14mp with 5x optical zoom. Carry a small monopod around, and that helps a lot. Does HD video too.

Charles, you have an amusing interest in texture. I liked playing with large grain B&W film years ago, overexposing it slightly made for really cool effects, No PS back then. I need to fart around with this camera more.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 04-20-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Amusing you say. Do I make you laugh? Am I a clown to you? [/Pesci]
    Texture and field of view can add a sense of realism that can be taken to the surreal.

Just don't cut off your ear, mmmmkay?
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Just don't cut off your ear, mmmmkay?