Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost 1/2 of all US Meat Found to Be Contaminated with Bacteria

Almost 1/2 of all US Meat Found to Be Contaminated with Bacteria

Meat bought in stores in 4 US cities has been found to be widely contaminated with a drug resistant bacteria.

Nearly half of all meat and poultry sampled in a new study contained drug-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus, the type of bacteria that most commonly causes staph infections. Such infections can take many forms, from a minor rash to pneumonia or sepsis. But the findings are less about direct threats to humans than they are about the risks of using antibiotics in agriculture.

Researchers from the Translational Genomics Research Institute, a nonprofit biomedical research center in Phoenix, analyzed 136 samples of beef, chicken, pork and turkey from 80 brands. The samples came from 26 grocery stores in five cities: Los Angeles, Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Flagstaff, Ariz., and Washington, D.C.

About half — 47% of the samples — contained S. aureus, the researchers reported Friday in Clinical Infectious Diseases. Of those bacteria, 52% were resistant to at least three classes of antibiotics. DNA testing suggested the animals were the source of contamination. The research was funded by the Pew Campaign on Human Health and Industrial Farming.
    Meat contaminated with resistant bacteria

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

DNA testing suggested the animals were the source of contamination
    Really? Wow! Who'd a thunk it!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Bush'sObama's fault.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Bush's Obama's Bush's fault.
    Fixed that for you...
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Orca Whisperer
    This is why I am opposed to frequent use of vaccines and antibiotics...

We shouldn't be using either on diseases that generally pass on their own.

Over-use of sanitizing agents is another one of those I am opposed to. A little dirt is great for the immune system. A little "exercise" for it is good to. Keeps it going, and ready to respond to anything LIKE what you've been exposed to in the past.

These things are "drug resistant", because of all of these things.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

There actually was a lot of deregulation in the meat industry from 2001 on.

http://governmentisgood.com/articles.php?aid=15

Call me partisan if it makes you feel better. I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Call me partisan if it makes you feel better.
    Okay, you're a cab. Oh, wait, wrong joke...
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Over-use of sanitizing agents is another one of those I am opposed to. A little dirt is great for the immune system. A little "exercise" for it is good to. Keeps it going, and ready to respond to anything LIKE what you've been exposed to in the past.
    According to the wisdom of our resident 'Sanitizer Sallies', I should be dead several times over considering all the "dirt" which has been in (and on) me throughout the course of my life. The OCD is strong with some...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Drugs are no longer the correct approach but if we did find the best method for dealing with this and other bacteria, someone would cry poverty because there is the possibility of not having an adequate supply of sick people. You know, these people need to get over themselves. There will ALWAYS be an abundance of sick people to keep them obscenely rich.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Drugs are no longer the correct approach but if we did find the best method for dealing with this and other bacteria, someone would cry poverty because there is the possibility of not having an adequate supply of sick people. You know, these people need to get over themselves. There will ALWAYS be an abundance of sick people to keep them obscenely rich.
    Sometimes, drugs are the best approach. However, they are oft times over-prescribed.

Every single case of strep throat does NOT need antibiotics. Every child does NOT need a Chicken Pox vaccination. Every surface does NOT need to be sanitized.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com