Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Old Stand By

Good Old Stand By

Now that the weather is breaking time for a new antenna since the dublet took a beating this winter. Thinking of an Inverted Vee an oldie but goodie and I have trees that would give me 65' height at center. What do you guys think worth it or not??
    [SIGPIC] 73

Always worth it. I am thinking of making a RX only K9AY loop array for weaker stuff and adding a sloper to blast more signal to the east.

Not much room in this yard, so minding the interactions may be tricky. May have to wait till I (finally) move to a better place for antennas, Though I do OK here, I'm similarly space challenged as N8YX and PA5COR's lots. At least I have some decent trees.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

What band will it be for?
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by W5GA View Post
    What band will it be for?
    160 thru 10
    [SIGPIC] 73

That's a whole lotta traps for one piece of wire. You'll also need to consider that an inverted vee on 160 is 235' or so long, needs a good bit of real estate. You could feed it with window line and use a balanced tuner and not worry about traps. For most, it's the real estate issue though.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

I have 3/4 of an acre, and I'm thinking of feeding it with 600 ohm twin feeders or maybe 450 ohm ladder line to my SA 2040, I changed out the 18 uh roller inductor and replaced it with a 28 uh one so I could get it to work on 160 with old antenna that I was using. Any thought's Russ?
    [SIGPIC] 73

You might take a look at this:
    http://www.palstar.com/qstAT1500bal.pdf

Don't know if you run QRO or not, but if you do the built in balun (does it have one?) on your 2040 will probably give up on you.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Or.....if you're really serious about "Good Old Stand By"....a Johnson Matchbox simply cannot be beat. The small ones go for < $100 if it's not "minty" and will probably be good for a lot more than what they're rated for. Or the the KW matchbox for when you get a 1KW DC input (or output) plate modulated BA on the air!

Also, homebrewing a link-coupled tuner is as close to trivial as a project can be.

But there's a flaw in your logic. It's foolhardy to put up a wire antenna in good weather. Everybody knows that it's been scientifically proven that the worse the weather, the better the antenna will work and the longer it will last. We're probably 2 months past peak antenna raising weather!
    Last edited by W1GUH; 04-07-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

OCF??
    Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands

Never mind...
    Last edited by NQ6U; 04-07-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.