Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woo-hoo! I'm Number 13!

Woo-hoo! I'm Number 13!

In the French-language version of 2001: A Space Odyssey, HAL's name is given as "CARL", for Cerveau Analytique de Recherche et de Liaison ("Analytic Brain for Research and Communication"). The camera plates, however, still read "HAL 9000".

HAL was declared the 13th greatest film villain of all time in the American Film Institutes's 100 Years, 100 Heroes and Villains list.
    I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal....

Linky here.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

You are not a number. You are a free man.

OK, a free artificial intelligence/construct.

You know what I mean... Damn it!. I'm a doctor, not a linguist!
    Last edited by W3WN; 04-01-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel
    it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel
    it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    and for extra bonus points...why was it called HAL
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer. Daisy, Daaayyyyzzzzeeee.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by w3bny View Post
    and for extra bonus points...why was it called HAL
    "Although it is often conjectured that the name HAL was based on a one-letter shift from the name IBM, this has been denied by both Clarke and 2001 director Stanley Kubrick. In 2010: Odyssey Two, Clarke speaks through the character of Dr. Chandra, who characterized this idea as: "utter nonsense! [...] I thought that by now every intelligent person knew that H-A-L is derived from Heuristic ALgorithmic."
    Last edited by NQ6U; 04-01-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post

Down the hatch!
    I will open the pod bay door for that, Dave...

Hey man, Dave's not here.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

"What the hell? No, man, I am Dave, man. Will you..
    C'mon! Open up the door, will you? I got the stuff with me, I think the cops saw me.
    "

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.