Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ham - Same old Question

Conch Master

New Ham - Same old Question

I am new to Ham Radio. I just got my licenses (Tech and General) in Feb. I had intended to fix an old Cubic RT-1131 Radio, but my skills suggest I might want to get another radio in the mean time. I don't think I am interested in 2m, 70cm, etc.. I'd like to go with HF and maybe 6 meter (AM/SSB/CW). Can anybody recommend a reliable used 100w desktop/portable that is cheap and resellable? My wife said I have to sell off some hobbies before starting new ones. I'm looking at selling my trap gun to buy the radio. :chin:

I really like my ricebox, Yaesu FT-897D.
    If I had to choose one cheap radio to do about anything, that'd be it...and it was.
    They're cheapish, and can do a little of everything.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Icom IC-7800. Fine beginners radio. Hook it up to a SteppIR DB36 antenna and you've a good starting point.

Seriously, the Icom IC-718 and Yaesu FT-450 would be good radios to look at. They're both very basic, but reliable and not too expensive.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 03-31-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Icom IC-7800. Fine beginners radio. Hook it up to a SteppIR DB36 antenna and you've a good starting point.

Seriously, the Icom IC-718 and Yaesu FT-450 would be good radios to look at. They're both very basic, but reliable and not too expensive.
    The 7800 huh, that runs about $100 per word spoken over it? Icom IC-718 sounds great. I have an R-71A so I guess I'm partial to Icom.

I'd vote for an IC-761, or if you can swing it an IC-765. Neither has 6m, but both will do you really, really well on HF.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    The 7800 huh, that runs about $100 per word spoken over it? Icom IC-718 sounds great. I have an R-71A so I guess I'm partial to Icom.
    Hey, they're only around $15K. Should be pocket change for a guy like you... ;)
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ki4itv View Post
    I really like my ricebox, Yaesu FT-897D.
    If I had to choose one cheap radio to do about anything, that'd be it...and it was.
    They're cheapish, and can do a little of everything.
    I love that Radio, but I can't see me using the 2m, etc.

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Hey, they're only around $15K. Should be pocket change for a guy like you... ;)
    Who spends that much money on just the one radio?

I love that Radio, but I can't see me using the 2m, etc.
    I used an 897 at a remote event last summer and liked it a lot—to the point that I decided I want to get one for myself some day. It's a perfect radio for Field Day and the like but I don't think it's the best choice for a beginner because of all the nested menus you have to navigate through to change settings. That's necessary because of the radio's compact size, but a newbie might find it kind of confusing. Stay away from the Icom IC-706 series, the IC-7000 or the Yaesu FT-857 for the same reason. Good radios all, but not for a beginner.

Who spends that much money on just the one radio?
    People with a lot more money than me, that's for sure. To be perfectly honest, though, I don't think I'd drop that much cash on a radio even if I had the means. It just seems excessive.