Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experimenting with magnetic loops

Experimenting with magnetic loops

I made a test magnetic loop for 10m today, about 1.5m in diameter. Seems to work well, the loop is just made from twisted up solid copper strand, not very thick diameter on a plastic pipe frame on a stand made form a thrown away cupboard door. I don't have a suitable capacitor yet, but will hopefully get one soon.

Anyone else here made magnetic loops? I want to build one that will TX on 80m as well as get rid of all the nasty mean noise I suffer from. I understand that the size of the loop is proportional to the bandwidth, and the 1/resistance of the loop proportional to how far down it will tune with the capacitor and still be efficient. Could be wrong here, please correct me. Edit: I have a few conflicting sources of information - size affects the efficiency too. Larger diameter of pipe is good.

So to get those resistances down - large diameter pipe. Copper pipe readily available. Is thin, large diameter and lightweight pipe easily available?
    Last edited by mw0uzo; 03-30-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Hmmm, I reread that middle paragraph and it sounds like gibberish. Brain really not in gear tonight.

SK Member (10/28/2012) - Island Prude
    First, some things you should know:

1. Small loops have a very low radiation resistance, so any ohmic resistance in the wire is a significant source of loss. That's the reason for the large diameter tubing, although lots of folks have made such loops using coaxial cable.

2. Small loops are high Q systems, which means they have a narrow bandwidth, and require tuning as you move about in the band. This may or not be a problem.

3. Because of their high Q, a small loop antenna has high peak currents and voltages. This poses a challenge when selecting the tuning capacitor. Even at modest power (100W), you have to be careful to avoid arcing across the capacitor plates, or hot spots due to high currents through ohmic losses.

"Small" means on the order of a tenth of a wavelength or so in circumference or less.

For a good overview, perhaps more relevant to your environment, try to beg, borrow, or steal the following book:

Backyard Antennas
    by Peter Dodd, G3LDO
    RSGB Publications

Chapter 5 has lots of good stuff on loop antennas, and there's even a plan for an 80m loop (by PA2JBC), including a homebrew capacitor!

73 and have fun,

And copper pipe is readily available, but not cheap.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Never did a small loop, But I did do a full wave loop for 6 meters using a home brew 4:1 coax balun.
    used a pop can for the coil form then used electricians tape to hold the windings together.

1.5:1 match across the entire band. Didn't really get a chance to use it before those bad storms a couple years ago ripped the house service feed I had one of the support ropes tied to off the side of the house and took it with it.

The only antenna I have now is laying across the roof with busted chimney straps so I'm off the air.
    Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands

Quote Originally Posted by W5GA View Post
    And copper pipe is readily available, but not cheap.
    Type M copper is cheaper than aluminum, usually, and easier to work with (you can solder it) but it is a lot heavier.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Type M copper is cheaper than aluminum, usually, and easier to work with (you can solder it) but it is a lot heavier.
    What is type M copper pipe?
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

What is type M copper pipe?
    Copper comes in three grades, M for thin wall pipe used mainly inside homes, L for thicker wall pipe, used mainly outside for water services and K, the thickest, used mainly between water mains and the water meter.
    Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands

Quote Originally Posted by kd8dey View Post
    Copper comes in three grades, M for thin wall pipe used mainly inside homes, L for thicker wall pipe, used mainly outside for water services and K, the thickest, used mainly between water mains and the water meter.
    OK, thanks! The last time I looked at the price of copper pipe at either Lowes or Home Despot I about had a heart attack. No idea what grade it was though, just the stuff in the rack in the plumbing section.

OK, thanks! The last time I looked at the price of copper pipe at either Lowes or Home Despot I about had a heart attack. No idea what grade it was though, just the stuff in the rack in the plumbing section.
    Try and deal with a wholesaler. Depot & Lowes are not exactly the cheapest, although they have high quality.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati