Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radio Mods.

Banned
    Hello.

Incorrect, part 15 has several sections and parts that allow even homebuilt.
    And, as far as power levels go, they are adjustable.
    In fact, that is the point, just about everything in the VX-3R is adjustable without ever opening the case.

Quote Originally Posted by KA5PIU View Post
    Hello.

Incorrect, part 15 has several sections and parts that allow even homebuilt.
    And, as far as power levels go, they are adjustable.
    In fact, that is the point, just about everything in the VX-3R is adjustable without ever opening the case.
    Here's just one section which invalidates the above:

15.203 - antenna requirement

An intentional radiator shall be designed to ensure that no antenna other than that furnished by the responsible party shall be used with the device. The use of a permanently attached antenna or of an antenna that uses a unique coupling to the intentional radiator shall be considered sufficient to comply with the provisions of this section.
    Since the 3R's antenna (or the variants used with just about any other amateur HT, for that matter) are in fact removable and use a standardized connector arrangement, the radios cannot be legally used as a Part 15 device.

But it's your license - feel free to play. The Island just won't encourage others to do so by virtue of hosting gray-area modification details.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

Since the 3R's antenna (or the variants used with just about any other amateur HT, for that matter) are in fact removable and use a standardized connector arrangement, the radios cannot be legally used as a Part 15 device.

But it's your license - feel free to play. The Island just won't encourage others to do so by virtue of hosting gray-area modification details.
    Very interesting rule. So by coupling, maybe they mean some kind of transformer coupling to the internal antenna. far out.

Banned
    Hello.

"Home-Built Transmitters that are Not for Sale
    Hobbyists, inventors and other parties that design and build Part 15 transmitters with
    no intention of ever marketing them may construct and operate up to five such
    transmitters for their own personal use without having to obtain FCC equipment
    authorization. If possible, these transmitters should be tested for compliance with the
    Commission's rules. If such testing is not practicable, their designers and builders are
    required to employ good engineering practices in order to ensure compliance with the
    Part 15 standards.Section 15.23 ".
    Already asked the FCC about this, a VX-3R, or any radio that has undergone a substantial modification of the circuits can be assumed to be homebuilt in nature.
    Remember that most of this is done in the spirit of experimentation, see how far we can go with these things.
    At no time is there any commercial application.
    And, from a legal standpoint there are no 50 watt GMRS radios produced at this time, no manufacturer has a part 95 UHF radio, they are all part 90.
    Think the FCC is going to have issue with that?
    However, be that as it may, there are VX-3R radios out there with unreal frequency range.

Orca Whisperer

In light of that excerpt, I wonder how Wifi manufacturer's get away with it, when they use common antenna connectors?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    In light of that excerpt, I wonder how Wifi manufacturer's get away with it, when they use common antenna connectors?
    Good question. I strongly suspect the reason is that no one has yet taken a Linksys AP and used it to interfere with a police or fire department's communications systems...which is something that has been done by more than a few off-kilter individuals with modded ham gear.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    Good question. I strongly suspect the reason is that no one has yet taken a Linksys AP and used it to interfere with a police or fire department's communications systems...which is something that has been done by more than a few off-kilter individuals with modded ham gear.
    Aha! Just found it!

Wifi Part 15 connectors themselves are covered under Part 15, since they do not allow ample power to violate Part 15, without catastrophic failure :)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Hello.

If operated under part 15 it is not illegal.
    If operated under part 97 it is not illegal.
    If operated under NTIA redbook it is not illegal.
    True, this is not a type accepted use, but operation can be done legally as this is no longer a commercial manufacture unit but a home built under the rules.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_47_CFR_Part_15
    And, the primary reason? it can be done. ;)
    The FCC could care less what I do with radio, I bother no one.
    For the most part, if you detect my transmissions I have done something wrong!
    If I am transmitting it is rare.
    In fact, I was in Dallas just a few hours ago and was informed that several repeaters were "closed".
    I was at the FEMA center and did the usual test transmissions, gave up on ham radio and went to federal frequencies.
    Now, this morning, the day after the last Friday of the month, the ham clubs are trying to save face.
    So, this morning I decided to revisit the idea of a dual use radio, Amateur and Federal.
    Note that I have lots of federal radios that can do Amateur Radio, just another option.
    If you modify a Part 15 radio, it may be illegal.
    If you modify a Part 97 radio for use in another service, it may be illegal.
    If you modify a radio for "freeband" use, it IS illegal.

And by "illegal" in this context, I mean transmitting beyond the scope of your license(s) as relevant. Receiving is not the issue, transmitting is.

Whether you are detected or not, or bothering someone else or not, is irrelevant. It's comparable to being caught speeding down a highway at 3 AM when there are no other cars on the road... you may not be bothering anyone else, but you're still breaking the law.

Now if you want to take a radio that has been "type accepted" (yes, I know the term is obsolete, you know what I mean) for another service and add a 2 meter repeater to it, you probably aren't illegally modifying the rig... but I'd check the rules as they have changed in recent years.

Closed repeaters is a different kettle of fish, or if you prefer, flavor of tacos.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Radio "mods" or butch it up's can be found anywhere on the net, mostly opening up radio's... < snip >
    That may be, but why condone it?

I have no problem with legitimate mods and updates for use within the Amateur Service on Amateur (Service) radios. I do have a problem with mods to use Amateur (Service) rigs where they are not intended, especially for "freeband" operation, and/or for situations where someone is trying to buy a cheap rig.

The modifications that ku goniff is talking about fall into the later category. IMHO, they fall outside of the realm of the purpose of this site. And since they can be found elsewhere, why do we need them here?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 2K!!

Hello.

"Home-Built Transmitters that are Not for Sale
    Hobbyists, inventors and other parties that design and build Part 15 transmitters with
    no intention of ever marketing them may construct and operate up to five such
    transmitters for their own personal use without having to obtain FCC equipment
    authorization. If possible, these transmitters should be tested for compliance with the
    Commission's rules. If such testing is not practicable, their designers and builders are
    required to employ good engineering practices in order to ensure compliance with the
    Part 15 standards.Section 15.23 ". < snip >
    The purpose of that rule, when you translate from bureaucratese and governmentease into English, is to indicate that hams and hobbyists are allowed to build and modify their own equipment.

But it is a narrow purpose... it is not intended to be used to modify commercially built radios from one communications service to another.

Goodbye.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!