Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radio Mods.

Why do you argue with one having an "I'm right and everybody else is wrong" attitude and has an answer for EVERYTHING? Let me clue you in, no matter how hard or long you butt your head on a stone it won't be the stone that cracks.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Why do you argue with one having an "I'm right and everybody else is wrong" attitude and has an answer for EVERYTHING? Let me clue you in, no matter how hard or long you butt your head on a stone it won't be the stone that cracks.
    Who's arguing? I'm giving him getting-hit-on-the-head lessons. Arguments are down the hall, Mr. Barnard, Room 12.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Arguments are down the hall, Mr. Barnard, Room 12.
    Stupid git...
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KA5PIU View Post
    Hello.

"Home-Built Transmitters that are Not for Sale
    Hobbyists, inventors and other parties that design and build Part 15 transmitters with
    no intention of ever marketing them may construct and operate up to five such
    transmitters for their own personal use without having to obtain FCC equipment
    authorization. If possible, these transmitters should be tested for compliance with the
    Commission's rules. If such testing is not practicable, their designers and builders are
    required to employ good engineering practices in order to ensure compliance with the
    Part 15 standards.Section 15.23 ".
    Already asked the FCC about this, a VX-3R, or any radio that has undergone a substantial modification of the circuits can be assumed to be homebuilt in nature.
    Remember that most of this is done in the spirit of experimentation, see how far we can go with these things.
    At no time is there any commercial application.
    And, from a legal standpoint there are no 50 watt GMRS radios produced at this time, no manufacturer has a part 95 UHF radio, they are all part 90.
    Think the FCC is going to have issue with that?
    However, be that as it may, there are VX-3R radios out there with unreal frequency range.
    One thing you need to check on, Hajji Rudi, is the allowed maximum amount of radiated power. It varies from band to band and in all cases is significantly less than a VX-3's minimum output.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    One thing you need to check on, Hajji Rudi, is the allowed maximum amount of radiated power. It varies from band to band and in all cases is significantly less than a VX-3's minimum output.
    Hello.

Again, the VX-3R can be configured for 10 milliwatts output maximum, it is just a softpot setting.
    At 100 milliwatts it is good across a lot of part 15.
    But what is more important it the theory behind it, how does one take a radio and do all of this?
    And, from a somewhat legal standpoint, a ham could in theory take a WiFi device and increase power, as this is in the 2.4 GHz ham band, save for the fact that WiFi is encrypted.
    But, 1 watt WiFi cards are now legal, and about the maximum I would want at this frequency.
    A 1 watt WiFi card can do about a mile if mounted on a 35 foot elevation connected to another 1 watt unit in the clear.
    In a congested area you will never see that range as there will be other access points on the same frequency.
    To get a WiFi device on your tower simply put the thing in a small lunchbox type of cooler and connect power and ethernet down.
    One has to be VERY careful about what they do with a radio, what frequencies they operate on.
    I see nothing wrong with having a radio that can do DC to daylight, I have a service monitor that can do what the VX-3R can do and more, it is what you do with it.
    I think of a radio as a device that is less dangerous than an automobile, yet just about everyone is allowed to operate an automobile.
    Take the same level of care one operates an automobile, in operating a radio and things will be just fine.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KA5PIU View Post
    Hello.

Again, the VX-3R can be configured for 10 milliwatts output maximum, it is just a softpot setting.
    At 100 milliwatts it is good across a lot of part 15.
    But what is more important it the theory behind it, how does one take a radio and do all of this?
    And, from a somewhat legal standpoint, a ham could in theory take a WiFi device and increase power, as this is in the 2.4 GHz ham band, save for the fact that WiFi is encrypted.
    But, 1 watt WiFi cards are now legal, and about the maximum I would want at this frequency.
    A 1 watt WiFi card can do about a mile if mounted on a 35 foot elevation connected to another 1 watt unit in the clear.
    In a congested area you will never see that range as there will be other access points on the same frequency.
    To get a WiFi device on your tower simply put the thing in a small lunchbox type of cooler and connect power and ethernet down.
    One has to be VERY careful about what they do with a radio, what frequencies they operate on.
    I see nothing wrong with having a radio that can do DC to daylight, I have a service monitor that can do what the VX-3R can do and more, it is what you do with it.
    I think of a radio as a device that is less dangerous than an automobile, yet just about everyone is allowed to operate an automobile.
    Take the same level of care one operates an automobile, in operating a radio and things will be just fine.
    It doesn't matter what the output power is. What matters if the field strength readings at 3 meters: 2 uV/m^2, if I recall correctly for the FM Broadcast band. Other bands have less or more (HF bands tend to be higher). And, 15 mW out of a moderately passable antenna violates that. You need to put a dummy load on the antenna, and you might pass.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    It doesn't matter what the output power is. What matters if the field strength readings at 3 meters: 2 uV/m^2, if I recall correctly for the FM Broadcast band. Other bands have less or more (HF bands tend to be higher). And, 15 mW out of a moderately passable antenna violates that. You need to put a dummy load on the antenna, and you might pass.
    FCC says 250 uV/M at 3 meters.

Banned
    Hello.

2 microvolt at 3 meters works out to be around 170 milliwatts for a small wire antenna of the type sold in consumer kits.
    http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/hk/
    And, part 15 allows up to 1 watt in large portions of the spectrum for communications.
    In the ISM portions 30 watts may be permitted, license free.
    And as far as legality goes, I have asked the FCC OST about this, the type of operation I do is 100% legal.
    It is legal to test and experiment if to only purpose is facilitate normal communications.
    Non type accepted equipment is permitted for this purpose.
    Don't think so? show me the FCC tag on a service monitor. ;)
    It is very much like the FCC rules on non type accepted 10 meter amplifiers, a ham can construct or convert 3 a year.
    I may possess 5 non type accepted transmitters at any one time.
    Around here the police have all moved up the 800MHz pro-voice/P-25.
    Fire services are back on VHF high analog, and to be quite blunt, without the cops, everything is easier to do.
    We got hold of 1200, that is correct, one thousand two hundred, astro sabre talkies and about 500 convertacoms on the 136 to 162 MHz split.
    I have one of each split of astro sabre made just as a matter of course.
    All do analog and type 1 P-25, so it is not a lack of FCC type accepted equipment that is the issue.
    It is one of being able to do this.
    Remember, when someone hotrods a car, usually the first thing they do is add headers and drop the catalytic converter, in violation of federal law.
    Next they change the intake and remove the emission controls, another violation.
    They modify the brakes and suspension, another federal violation.
    The list of violations goes on, EPA, FMVSS, etc.
    When you assemble a car from parts it is the date of assembly .
    Did people stop building street rods?

Banned
    Hello.

Explained to the FCC about the part 95 issue and GMRS, there are NO current 50 watt part 95 radios.
    I have it in writing that I may use an FCC approved radio that meets the technical requirements.
    When asked about what service, I was told to "Meet the technical requirements".
    "
    [Code of Federal Regulations] [Title 47, Volume 5, Parts 80 to End] [Revised as of October 1, 2000] From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 47CFR95.129] [Page 522] TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION COMMISSION (CONTINUED) PART 95--PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES--Table of Contents Subpart A--General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) Sec. 95.129 Station equipment. Every station in a GMRS system must use transmitters the FCC has certificated for use in the GMRS. Write to any FCC Field Office to find out if a particular transmitter has been certificated for the GMRS. All station equipment in a GMRS system must comply with the technical rules in part 95. [63 FR 68975, Dec. 14, 1998] [[Page 523]]"
    When asked about the VX-3R, I was told "The technician is responsible as par part 90"
    So, where do I come up with this with CB and GMRS and MURS and Marine, etc?
    http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/EMS/pdf/NIFOG.pdf
    I was finally told to "Use my best judgement"
    And, no, operating in a non-interference basis is not like speeding anf getting away with it.
    The FCC part 15 rules state that a part 15 device can not interfere and must accept interference, very clear.
    The FCC and NTIA has also made it clear that I may "Build and modify any equipment needed for testing provided it follows good technical practice".
    The FCC has since further stated that I may now use "Whatever equipment needed" to do the task at hand.
    I have been using military radios that are not type accepted and was told to "Continue as planned".
    However as you can clearly see, it is the US government that is saying to do this.
    The concern is over that small number of people who do cause all kinds of trouble.

Rudy insists on the right to be a weak mud duck, wherever he roams in the RF spectrum.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman