Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gentlemen! Start your whining!

Which one is the "common mode" , anyway ?
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

That's the one you put those loops in your coax for. It's like all those old bluesmen used to say: "Got my mode choke workin' but it just don't work on you."
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    That's the one you put those loops in your coax for. It's like all those old bluesmen used to say: "Got my mode choke workin' but it just don't work on you."
    :chin:
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

Quote Originally Posted by W5RB View Post
    :chin:
    I'm glad you got it. It was kind of a stretch.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Or a mode switch....
    If you've ever taken notice, the ones whining the loudest about contests have single-mode-only rigs, at least where the transmitter side of the equation is concerned - and any incursion onto their "channel" by other users of the radio spectrum is immediately met with howls of derision.

It doesn't do one any good to tell these folks they should QSY, or select another operating mode. Most of them cannot; further, their equipment seems to be stuck in a time warp. Thus, you are expected to accommodate them.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    If you've ever taken notice, the ones whining the loudest about contests have single-mode-only rigs, at least where the transmitter side of the equation is concerned - and any incursion onto their "channel" by other users of the radio spectrum is immediately met with howls of derision.

It doesn't do one any good to tell these folks they should QSY, or select another operating mode. Most of them cannot; further, their equipment seems to be stuck in a time warp. Thus, you are expected to accommodate them.
    You nailed it, brutha.

And they will be kvetching again in 3 weekends, when CQ WPX comes around. Same song, different day.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

I think we should combine all international contests into a 3 or 4 weekend a year affair, but all modes and all bands at the same time. Then listen to them bitch!
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    No, you just have to be flexible.

Most of this complaining deals with the fact that you have what I call One Mode Morons. They only do (pick a mode) and when the contest is that mode, they cry. It would never dawn on them that it might be a perfect time to explore other modes.

Phone contest? Try RTTY, PSK31, CW (not going to happen here ;) ), etc. CW contest? Try phone, RTTY, SSTV, digital SSTV, etc.

Point is, there's more to ham radio that the only mode you seem to be able to deal with.
    There is ONLY 1 mode. ;)
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

California QSO Party is this weekend.
    Pennsylvania QSO Party is next weekend. As is the Arizona QSO Party IIRC, and the Oceana DX CW, IIRC. I think a EU RTTY or digital one as well.

Just wait until the end of the month for CQ WPX.

Why, these guys will be so worn out from their kvetching that they won't have the energy to get on the air... hmmm...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    There is ONLY 1 mode. ;)
    ...and it's not AM...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."