Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This place advertises authentic Chinese food.

Banned

This place advertises authentic Chinese food.

Notice H on the lunch specials
    http://www.goldendragonpostfalls.com/menu.pdf

Lots of Chinese restaurants do that so if the majority of a group of people wants Chinese food but one round-eye doesn't care for it, there's a alternative for him/her. That way, the group doesn't go somewhere else to eat.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

How do you make chow mein out of a house?
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Banned
    Hello.

We had the Maverick cafe in San Antonio, Chinese and Mexican food.
    I would order steamed white rice with beef enchaladas and hamas.
    To drink I would do the kosher coke.
    Finally they decided to ask me why,
    I explained my story and it all made sense.
    Rudy's special, Chinese Tex-Mex, safe for Arabs and Jews!
    There were actually 3 plates under that heading and all sold very well.
    http://dine.com/restaurants/rid/5148...zdpfe4i9SrsA--

Banned
    chow mein, especially with celery, isn't Chinese anyway. If the locals here were ever to get real Chinese food they would piss their pants. They wouldn't know what to make of it.
    and for Rudy, I got sicker than a puking dog eating Chinese food in Tuxtla Gutierrez in Chiapas on one of my visits there.
    Last edited by kc7jty; 02-27-2011 at 04:36 AM.

here in sf there's a school which teaches recent immigrants how to prepare "chinese food" for the local gringos. imho, it's kinda pointless--those who want something authentic look for the asian faces in the seats ... and the bilingual menu which has more items in chinese than in english.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    ...those who want something authentic look for the asian faces in the seats ... and the bilingual menu which has more items in chinese than in english.
    That's generally true here, too. This area has experienced a tremendous influx of Asians, principally Koreans, but also a lot of Chinese. It has made a substantive difference in the quality of Chinese restaurants, especially. One glance at the clientele seated within is an excellent indicator of what you will find on the menu, as well as the quality of the offerings.

I am particularly fond of dim sum, and a small group of about ten of us get together on Sundays about every two or three months for dim sum at some local Chinese restaurant. Just a few years ago, it was almost impossible to enjoy dim sum of any sort, not to even think about really good dim sum, at any distance from the DC suburbs. Now we have several restaurants offering traditional dim sum on Sundays here, and the most recent addition brought a dim sum chef in from Hong Kong to supervise the kitchen. At most of these places, reservations have become a must, and it is very crowded; the servers often have trouble trying to move the carts among the large, round tables with the traditional "lazy-susan" centers.

Fortunately, our group has a couple of Chinese (one of whom speaks a Mandarin dialect well) who are able to "guide" us through the complexities of the many dim sum offerings. Alas, my xyl has a shell-fish allergy, and she has to be careful to avoid the two most popular ingredients: shrimp and crab. A dim sum brunch usually averages around $18-$20 per person for our group, which is why we only do it every couple months.

Wikipedia has a nice shot of typical dim sum offerings:

Dimsum_breakfast.jpg
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Heavy Asian influence here on the Islets of Langerhans, mostly southeast Asian, so there are plenty of outstanding Thai and Vietnamese restaurants. If you've never tried Thai food, you're missing out. It makes most Chinese food seem heavy, bland and boring by comparison.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I refer to the TV shows where the bald fat guy eats things off the street market in China. A variety of bugs on sticks, household pets, etc etc.
    Now that's authentic.

I suspect I may have eaten a household pet once or twice. There used to be some very "ethnic" Chinese "eateries" (I would not characterize them as restaurants in our sense of that term) in Baltimore where you needed a chaperone who spoke the lingo. Most of what I ate on those visits was very flavorful and I enjoyed everything except the reminder from my "host" not to ask too many questions.

I draw the line at bugs on sticks and things like balut, however. If it LOOKS edible and gives even the appearance of being tasty, I will likely try it. We have large Asian markets here now, and one or two of them keep suffering health department raids and shut-downs for a variety of offenses ranging from rat infestations to the general hygienic conditions of the food storage areas. It never seems to deter their business. They are closed for a few days and when they reopen the throng inside is like something out of Blade Runner. The seafood market is particularly entertaining. Beauty is surely in the eye of the beholder. So, too, is edibility.

I used to become irritated because of the rude treatment I would always receive when trying to check out. I suspected that it was because I am occidental. After a couple of visits, I realized that everyone is treated very rudely, ethnicity is no guarantee of courtesy. They move you through the check outs like Tokyo subway pushers as the woman at the register continually shouts at you, not really giving a damn whether or not you can understand her irate pidgin.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!