Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All's Fair?

All's Fair?

Is it better to "lose", that is come in 2nd or 3rd or 4th place, having done your very level best... or is it better to "win" (come in first) regardless of what you did to get there?

I would think that the answer to that is a no-brainer. Right now, I'm not so sure.

The context of this... well, there's a discussion ongoing on the DX CHAT reflector that I adminsister for the NJDXA regarding certain operating practices. One specifically mentioned was a few stations that, during last weekend's ARRL DX CW contest, would send an automated, continual CQ... and never answer anyone. In fact, even if you zero beat them, and matched their keyer speed, you'd get maybe one or two characters of your call out before the CQ would start again. [Yes, maybe they didn't hear you, but that's not the issue]

I have since received a PM from a list member who insists that "all's fair in love-n-war" and then berates me for believing in proper operating technique. He also specifically tells me "if u want to win...so...do what u can".

I know it's a prevalent attitude, especially amongst the so-called contest elite. And maybe I'm old fashioned. Personally, I have to look at myself in the mirror and sleep at night; winning by cheating, or by skirting the rules, or by deliberately doing something to harm another's chances... no.

But that's me.

What would YOU do?

And if you're not a contester, as many of you aren't... then as a DX'er, or county hunter, or just in general operating practices.

Does anything go?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

First the contest reflector, now a dx reflector. I'm noticing a pattern here.....
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

I would DQ the station from the specific contest and if the behavior continued, bar him or her from subsequent participation in any others.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    First the contest reflector, now a dx reflector. I'm noticing a pattern here.....
    What, you think I spend all my radio time online?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Banned
    Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I mean, what fun is contesting if you have a computer doing all the work for you? I don't contest, just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I mean, what fun is contesting if you have a computer doing all the work for you? I don't contest, just thinking out loud.
    The only apparant purpose for an automated transmission is to prevent someone else from using the frequency. Reserving it for yourself, in short. I don't think that's much fun either.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    What, you think I spend all my radio time online?
    No, but I find it interesting that you seem to be at odds with 2 different reflector groups. ;)

That's the pattern I'm referring to.....
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    No, but I find it interesting that you seem to be at odds with 2 different reflector groups. ;)

That's the pattern I'm referring to.....
    They may share the same membership, though. That being the case, the animosity would pretty much be a given.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    A certain level of automation is required, if you want to win. Every second wasted not making contacts, means your QSO rate falls.

Latest ClubLog entries.

As to the question:

Does anything go?
    Not for me. I follow the rules.

I'm also one of those crazy assholes who, when the DX says, "The station ending in Papa Kilo?", doesn't keep calling when there's no "PK" in my call. I also don't call when the DX is asking for W6 & W7. Nor do I call when the DX calls for the K8. In fact, unless the DX asks for something that resembles my call, I STFU, unlike so many others. :roll:

As to winning a contest, I simply don't care. I don't submit a log (with 1 exception), so I'm not going to win. Even if I were to submit a log for any contest I'm playing in, I have no illusions about winning.

It's a fscking radio "contest" in a minuscule fscking hobby! Who gives a fsck? :roll:

Latest ClubLog entries.