Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The secret recipe for Coke!

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

The secret recipe for Coke!

Did NPR’s ‘This American Life’ discover Coke’s secret formula?

So....what happens to the cocaine they take out of the coca leaves?

And, BTW, see how useful NPR can be?
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Interesting, but it's not like it was all that big a deal. The whole "secret formula" thing is just a marketing gimmick anyhow. After all, Pepsi has been manufacturing a nearly identical soft drink for over a century now.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

You're not one of those people who think Pepsi and Coke taste the same, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    You're not one of those people who think Pepsi and Coke taste the same, are you?
    Nearly identical.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I don't even know if I'd agree with that. Pepsi has a very distinct flavor, imho. I think RC Cola or Jones is more CocaCola-like than Pepsi.

SK Member (Late April, 2019) W4RLR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Interesting, but it's not like it was all that big a deal. The whole "secret formula" thing is just a marketing gimmick anyhow. After all, Pepsi has been manufacturing a nearly identical soft drink for over a century now.
    Not even close. My palate can tell the difference. Give me Coca-Cola or, in an emergency, RC Cola. Pepsi IMHO blows dead bears.
    73 de Richard W4RLR
    Southern born,
    Southern bred, centrist conservative.
    Posting messages via HughesNet satellite internet.

Retired U.S. Air Force NCO
    Member, Sons of Confederate Veterans
    The Ancient Order of Turtles
    ARRL, SPAR, Six Meters Worldwide, Chattanooga ARC
    ARRL Accredited VE

SK Member (10/28/2012) - Island Prude
    The formula is secret while in plain sight.

When Ray Kroc was still alive someone asked him about the "secret spices" used in Kentucky Fried Chicken. He's rumored to have replied, "Don't you think that if I wanted to know that recipe I could find out?" It turns out that Colonel Sanders' chicken gets its qualities not from the herbs and spices (mostly sugar, salt, pepper, and MSG), but from the cooking process (controlled ratio of oil to meat mass in the cooker).

The situation with Coke is similar. For small change someone could be bribed to supply gallons of the concentrate to a competitor for analysis, but competitors don't want to reproduce Coca Cola, they want to produce a better selling cola product.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Did NPR’s ‘This American Life’ discover Coke’s secret formula?

So....what happens to the cocaine they take out of the coca leaves?

And, BTW, see how useful NPR can be?
    Sounds like it may be one of the early formulations, but it remains to be seen if it is THE Coca-Cola formula. Anyone willing to whip up a batch?

The article also said that the coca leaves used since 1904 do not contain cocaine. It doesn't say if it's the particular leaf or plant that's used, or if the raw form of the drug's removed in "pre-processing" beforehand.

So? NPR is useful? That's nice. Does that mean the government (ie the taxpayers) still has to pay for it?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Banned
    Pepsi tastes sweeter and more lime juice than Coke which has a more cinnamon/spice flavor.
    I don't buy Pepsi, but drink about 2 cases of caffeine free coke classic a year.
    Do you know how many different Coke variations there are at present? Probably 12 or better.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_types_of_coca-cola
    Last edited by kc7jty; 02-15-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Fresca.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.