Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS 550D (Rebel T2i)...

Canon EOS 550D (Rebel T2i)...

Well, I just bit that bullet and ordered a new Canon camera to replace the 2003 model that has given yeoman service on these past eight years.

Eighteen megapixels is a substantial jump over what I have been using and DPreview gives it a 77% final score. In their words, "In terms of both still and video capture, the 550D is currently the best camera of its type on the market."

Caveats are that it won't perform at high-speed RAW captures, fagging out a six or so in burst shooting, though it apparently will shoot long bursts when shooting high-pixel jpegs. Demands a high-speed SD card in order to swallow the frames. I don't do that sort of shooting, so it is not much of a worry. Also the ergonomics are basically those of the Rebel family -- more basic than many pros may prefer.

A new feature for me is that this camera shoots HD video (1960x1080) at a nominal 30fps. Interesting. I am not a video camera afficionado, but I can see where having that capability may be a handy tool to have in the same box as the still stuff.

Full review here (more than you ever wanted to know about a camera).

Only downside of this is that Canon changed the battery grip, and also the batteries, that I have for the old Rebel. Ergo, the grip and extra battery get added to the pile. I have grown too used to having the ease of the extra controls and shutter button for verticals, as well as the added battery life of having two in the camera.

I have an assignment that will require some play-time before risking serious embarrassment by fumbling with a new camera on site, so I will likely gobble a lot of photons in the next several days.

I do shoot RAW much of the time, and I have to see how this new rig manages 24+MB image files. Even though I don't shoot continuous action series, there are times when one needs to shoot a series of shots quickly -- I love sequential frames of people doing things: three or four frames in a sequence can impart a lot of information about what is being done. Too slow moving the images from processor to card can be a bummer. Worst case, though, is to switch to jpeg for those sequences.

More later one the Wunderwaffe arrives.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Sounds like a fine piece of modern optical wizardry! How long will it allow the shutter to stay open in bulb mode?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Sounds like a fine piece of modern optical wizardry! How long will it allow the shutter to stay open in bulb mode?
    As long as you hold the shutter open by pressing and holding the release. Cumbersome without an electronic release cable, but doable.

On the old Synchro-Compur shutters I used to use with view-camera lenses, there was always a B and a T shutter setting -- the "B"ulb setting permitted holding the shutter open long enough for a manual (or sluggish) flash or a series of separate flashes set out to cover a large scene and the "T"ime setting held the shutter open until it was pressed a second time to close. Many of the old-style cable releases had a locking screw that would permit the photog to hold the button down by tightening the screw. All lenses did not have a "T" setting.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    As long as you hold the shutter open by pressing and holding the release. Cumbersome without an electronic release cable, but doable.

On the old Synchro-Compur shutters I used to use with view-camera lenses, there was always a B and a T shutter setting -- the "B"ulb setting permitted holding the shutter open long enough for a manual (or sluggish) flash or a series of separate flashes set out to cover a large scene and the "T"ime setting held the shutter open until it was pressed a second time to close. Many of the old-style cable releases had a locking screw that would permit the photog to hold the button down by tightening the screw. All lenses did not have a "T" setting.
    I have an original Hasselblad cable for manual 35mm film cameras but the digital uses a IR remote, for best results that is.

Coolio, Albi. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new Canon.

I'm more familiar with the Nikon brand of digital photo neurosis, but the Canon stuff does just as well. Got a new Nikon D7000 here; love it, but it was supposed to be in Mexico instead of Colorado today (long story).

Post pics, won't you?

As soon as it arrives, Rob, I plan to fondle it. One thing leading to another, that usually produces offspring that I hope to post.

The Nikon D7000 is quite an excellent choice; good writeup on DPreview. Were I not so heavily invested in Canon glass I could happily live with N's products -- did so for many years when things were done using that curious celluloid stuff. And thinking of fillum, I resurrected an Olympus RF model from a cabinet in which it was hiding. Stuck a fresh battry in in and found that Wally still sells some (a few -- damned few) rolls of 135. As soon as I find a pair of bell-bottoms and my Nehru jacket, I plan a retro shoot.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

Orca Whisperer
    How big of a pic can you do with an 18 MP camera?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Print specs would indicate about 12x18 for native resolution for this size processor.

Of course, it all depends on the output material and viewing distance. I have produced Duratrans panels up to ten feet wide with my old Rebel and its 6.3MP chip. They were meant to be viewed at a distance of several feet. Remember, this camera (like most of the "prosumer" DSLRs) uses a reduced size CMOS sensor, which is about 5/8 the size of a full frame. High-end cameras using full-frame chips (24x36) offer better resolution and higher print quality using 16MP chips.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

Talk about dumb luck! When I decided to order this camera, I worried over whether I should buy body only or buy it as a "kit," which includes a new version of the lens I already own. Figuring that I could probably sell the earlier Rebel more easily with a lens than as a body-only, I crunched the cartridge and ordered it as a kit with the 18-55mm lens.

Come to find out, the new lens offers image stabilization and has a slightly upgraded optical formula -- as I understand it, they made the front element slightly larger which reduces light fall-off in the corners at its operating margins. According to DPreview, the new version has slightly better specs, and gets a slightly higher score. The cheap bastards at Canon still don't include even a chintzy plastic lens hood, though. You have to buy it as an option.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    Print specs would indicate about 12x18 for native resolution for this size processor.

Of course, it all depends on the output material and viewing distance. I have produced Duratrans panels up to ten feet wide with my old Rebel and its 6.3MP chip. They were meant to be viewed at a distance of several feet. Remember, this camera (like most of the "prosumer" DSLRs) uses a reduced size CMOS sensor, which is about 5/8 the size of a full frame. High-end cameras using full-frame chips (24x36) offer better resolution and higher print quality using 16MP chips.
    12x18 prints for a 'prosumer'? Wow...
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com