Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never really faced this before with Echolink

Never really faced this before with Echolink

There is a good chance I could go on a short term (maybe a month) deployment to the Middle East and planning on taking a laptop with me for Echolink. When and where exactly I am going I am not at liberty to say right now...

I would bring my HF gear but I don't want to go to the trouble of having to bring all of that on top of my other gear/clothing. I know that is a weak argument because people who go on DXpeditions all the time. My circumstance is a little different and reluctant to bring my own stuff for this.

My only concern is that if I connect via the internet over there using my issued stateside callsign for Echolink to talk to some friends back here over a friends repeater back here localy and the legalities within it. I am researching agreements and see if I am kosher or not to do that and connect with a repeater back here.
    WVM
    Kilo Zero West Virginia Mountaineer

Chad Eagle
    Ogden, UT
    Montani Semper Liberi - "Mountaineers Are Always Free"
    June 20, 1863

That is all!

Where you goin', huh, huh? When you leavin'? I won't tell no one, I promise [where did I put Julian Assange's cell number?], cross my heart!
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

SK Member (Late April, 2019) W4RLR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KØWVM View Post
    There is a good chance I could go on a short term (maybe a month) deployment to the Middle East and planning on taking a laptop with me for Echolink. When and where exactly I am going I am not at liberty to say right now...

I would bring my HF gear but I don't want to go to the trouble of having to bring all of that on top of my other gear/clothing. I know that is a weak argument because people who go on DXpeditions all the time. My circumstance is a little different and reluctant to bring my own stuff for this.

My only concern is that if I connect via the internet over there using my issued stateside callsign for Echolink to talk to some friends back here over a friends repeater back here localy and the legalities within it. I am researching agreements and see if I am kosher or not to do that and connect with a repeater back here.
    I think the bigger problem is getting the incoming and outgoing ports configured so you can even USE Echolink.
    73 de Richard W4RLR
    Southern born,
    Southern bred, centrist conservative.
    Posting messages via HughesNet satellite internet.

Retired U.S. Air Force NCO
    Member, Sons of Confederate Veterans
    The Ancient Order of Turtles
    ARRL, SPAR, Six Meters Worldwide, Chattanooga ARC
    ARRL Accredited VE

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Where you goin', huh, huh? When you leavin'? I won't tell no one, I promise [where did I put Julian Assange's cell number?], cross my heart!
    If I can get on here from there, I will let you know after I am there. Being told it might be more of a work vacation than anything. Let's hope they are right! ;)
    WVM

Chad Eagle
    Ogden, UT
    June 20, 1863

That is all!

Quote Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
    I think the bigger problem is getting the incoming and outgoing ports configured so you can even USE Echolink.
    I might see if I they have a cafe on the base and could let me know what they are. They may not even allow that while I am over there so will just have to suck it up and press.
    WVM

Chad Eagle
    Ogden, UT
    June 20, 1863

That is all!

Got a call back from the repeater owner and he said I am kosher as long as I go through the internet via the laptop. Going to have a blast if this works and will make passing the time a lot of fun. As Richard said I might have some problems with the I/O ports to get it to work. Hopefully that won't be the case and will work just fine.
    WVM

Chad Eagle
    Ogden, UT
    June 20, 1863

That is all!

If I can get on here from there, I will let you know after I am there. Being told it might be more of a work vacation than anything. Let's hope they are right! ;)
    That's for sure. Keep your head down and your eyes open, my friend.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I really dont think you will have a problem at all, especially if you go through any of the Public Proxys listed on Echolink.
    KD8EFQ ~ "With MFJ one might as well stand outside during the worst possible calamity and wair for death."

Orca Whisperer
    Got a call back from the repeater owner and he said I am kosher as long as I go through the internet via the laptop. Going to have a blast if this works and will make passing the time a lot of fun. As Richard said I might have some problems with the I/O ports to get it to work. Hopefully that won't be the case and will work just fine.
    If you want a proxy for echolink, let me know. I'll set it up, and send you the access password.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Banned
    Good luck!