Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was there a realy in the Eico 730?

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Was there a relay in the Eico 730?

I'm sure I remember one in the '730 I had -- for a while it didn't switch cleanly and put out a very gnarly buzz before it did. Sorta like a roger beep?

But I was just checking out the schematic and the one I found had no relay. I believe it turned on the B+ when the transmitter was keyed. Details, anyone? Maybe an upgrade?
    Last edited by W1GUH; 02-03-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Finally fixed the glaring typo!
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    I'm sure I remember one in the '730 I had -- for a while it didn't switch cleanly and put out a very gnarly buzz before it did. Sorta like a roger beep?

But I was just checking out the schematic and the one I found had no relay. I believe it turned on the B+ when the transmitter was keyed. Details, anyone? Maybe an upgrade?
    PTT? B+ throught the mic cord? Eeek:shock:

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Yeah the PTT relay mod was done a lot. Not included from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by N4VGB View Post
    Yeah the PTT relay mod was done a lot. Not included from the factory.
    Thanks, Mack. Whoever did it in the '730 I had did a super job...never would have known it was HB. But it wasn't exactly PTT. The '720 had a very weird PS stby/xmit circuit that didn't lend itself at all to PTT. It did more than just switch on the B+ and it wasn't trivial to make it PTT.

Thanks again.

SK Member (12/2/2011)
    It's really sad that the audiophools found out about the Eico 730s and ran the prices sky high on them, it seems finally sucking all available into service driving speakers!:vomit:

Thanks for the info. Not something I'd ever want to hear (Shit on the messenger? No, just kidding.), but better to know than not to know. But it's a really glowing review of that modulator. I consider it half of a Dynakit Stereo 70.

So...when are the audiophools gonna start buying Apaches just for the modulator?

SK Member (12/2/2011)
    Thanks for the info. Not something I'd ever want to hear (Shit on the messenger? No, just kidding.), but better to know than not to know. But it's a really glowing review of that modulator. I consider it half of a Dynakit Stereo 70.

So...when are the audiophools gonna start buying Apaches just for the modulator?
    The downfall of the Eico 730 was the mod xformer used in it, multi tapped and ready to go for speaker connection.

Only the 6CA7 modder tubes from the Apache are in danger.

Wonder who it was in the AM mafia that let the cat out of the bag? Maybe said perp should be forced to listen to SSB QSO's -- especially the "fun" ones non-stop for a few months?

SK Member (12/2/2011)
    Wonder who it was in the AM mafia that let the cat out of the bag? Maybe said perp should be forced to listen to SSB QSO's -- especially the "fun" ones non-stop for a few months?
    If I knew who let the cat out of the bag I'd castrate the arse myself.

And laugh while doing the deed!!!

Would there be anything there to castrate?