Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphene Transistors.

Banned

Graphene Transistors.

Hello.

The fastest processor chip does not run at a mere few GHz.
    No, the new kid on the block runs at 100GHz.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/18865...ransistor.html

Try reading the whole article.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Try reading the whole article.
    Hello.

I did read the whole article.
    So far this is an analog device that runs 100+GHz.
    Moore's law is still valid as computing power is still doubling every 18 months.
    Right now the solution is to run more effective cores in multiples as the upper end of the frequency is being reached, the traces are now starting to become antennas.
    However the proof of concept is what I am looking at.
    We have hot transistors now.
    http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/1...e-temperatures
    So, what is the point?
    I have a laser element that is intended to operate at up to 190 degree F.
    I now understand that if I provide the heat sinking needed to keep it under 155 degree F, I can run it at around 4 watts real world figures pulsed CW.
    I loo0k at the extreme in the lab and all but expect a simplified product down the road.
    So, a 100GHz opamp today, killer RF section for a radio 18 months from now.
    Can you just imagine a 100GHz WiFi device? perhaps not much range but the bandwidth could be massive.
    100GHz illuminator for fiber optics? instant billion X gain in bandwidth over what we have now, if not more.

Those transistors won't switch i.e. have no on/off state.
    One major roadblock is that graphene does not work easily with discrete electronic signals, he explained. Because graphene is a zero bandgap semiconductor, meaning there is no energy difference between its conductive and nonconductive states, transistors made of the semiconductor cannot be turned on and off.
    Little bit of a problem for a processing core...

Why do we need that bandwidth? i have 20 Mb connection, and we all 3 caan do multiple downloads without straining the connection.
    For use in consumer products we are looking at 10 - 15 years before it will be available.

Military use comes first before it will be available in cheap real life productions in consumer products.
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

SK Member (12/2/2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Why do we need that bandwidth? i have 20 Mb connection,<snip>
    Same here, 30 meg raw speed and that gives me a little more than 20meg actual throughput.

But the same provider does offer 100meg and 1gig also.

Rudy:

Lin cautioned against thinking of graphene as a substitute for the silicon-based microprocessors used in today's computers, at least at anytime in the near future. One major roadblock is that graphene does not work easily with discrete electronic signals, he explained. Because graphene is a zero bandgap semiconductor, meaning there is no energy difference between its conductive and nonconductive states, transistors made of the semiconductor cannot be turned on and off. In contrast, silicon has a bandgap of one electron volt, making it good for processing discrete digital signals, Lin said.

Instead, graphene is better suited for making analog transistors, such as signal processors and amplifiers. Today, such circuitry is largely made from GaAs (gallium arsenide), though GaAs offers nowhere near the same electron mobility, Lin said.
    So we may be using them in our rigs before we see them in our computers
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

We can have the 100 Mb connection, my m8 has it for his own business, but i don't see the need.
    for 30 euro's a month no caps, we never see a problem here, our son is always watching movies the wife plays online games, and i'm on boards.
    Looking at the connection, we just use 10% average here of it....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Rudy:

So we may be using them in our rigs before we see them in our computers
    Hello.

Yes, and that is my point.
    100GHz is a whole lot faster than we have been able to come up with so far for something this complex.
    Remember that this is a complete circuit with far greater electron mobility, meaning an IC could be produced that is nearly the complete radio operating at 100 GHz.
    And, n

No, it means small and efficient RF power devices. Not the processor guts. And likely esoteric audio breakthroughs past the point of the price/performance "knee". Sheesh, Cheech. Because it has no discrete on off state, using it for computational speed wars is inappropriate.

But a Graphene Powered SupaBowl shootout, gone mobile in custom 70's family station wagons hot rods...
    You need to snatch up the Taco concession for that event. Perhaps a Sauerkraut Taco?

Cortido? Curtido? YUMMY! Eh? Hello?

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by KA5PIU View Post
    Hello.

Yes, and that is my point.
    100GHz is a whole lot faster than we have been able to come up with so far for something this complex.
    Remember that this is a complete circuit with far greater electron mobility, meaning an IC could be produced that is nearly the complete radio operating at 100 GHz.
    And, n
    Way to try and weasel out of that, Rudy! Admit it--you didn't have the slightest idea of what you were talking about but you posted anyway.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.