Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haggis

Haggis

I hope you Scots descendants have managed to procure a Haggis as tomorrow is Burns Night. Knowing that the importation of meat products to the USA is strictly controlled and anything containing sheep's lungs is banned, perhaps the nice Canadians have been able to smuggle some in for you. Eating haggis hasn't done the Scots any harm but items with lungs and liver may be distasteful to many Americans:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12261123

I hope you can find the link OK, my new thread went tits-up when I entered it,
    here's another:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8480795.stm
    Last edited by HUGH; 01-24-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Unable to insert link satisfactorily.

Forum Addict
    Hugh I've ate Real pig head cheeze, Blood sausage, Real duck blood soup, And many other items that are not on a normal menu. I've allways wanted to try Haggis. Looks good to me.

Ummm... I'll pass, but thanks just the same.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

I did not realize until much later how lucky I can be. When I was single my Scottish room mate invited me to a Burn's Supper at the Gaelic Society near Dayton, Ohio. I was an outsider, and did not appreciate the ritual. There was much drinking of single malt scots whiskey before the event. I was mixing counties. The leaders were dressed in kilts, and bow ties. You could smell the food cooking in the kitchen. Then everyone stood up, and the leader carried out the main dish. He was followed by a guy playing (not very good) bagpipes. They read some poetry of Robert Burns, and then the head guy started jabbering in Gaelic ( I assume). I had no idea what they were saying.

I had imbibed in about 6 shots of very good scots whiskey by the time our table was served. I ate the haggis, and whatever the sides where. I was NOT told what was in it. My roomy told me the next day it was sheep lungs, and other parts. I actually liked it. I have to be tricked into eating anything unusual to the American diet. I still do not understand the infatuation with the poetry of Robert Burns is. The ritual seemed like a religious event.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    You can get a haggis in the U.S. Just not a traditional one made with the traditional sheepie parts (legally anyhow)
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

There are always poor versions of national ceremonies unless you're in the country of origin. I dislike green dye poured into my beer on St Patrick's day for example, it doesn't happen in Ireland.

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGH View Post
    There are always poor versions of national ceremonies unless you're in the country of origin. I dislike green dye poured into my beer on St Patrick's day for example, it doesn't happen in Ireland.
    From what I understand....On St. Patrick's day in Ireland, they go to Mass
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Orca Whisperer
    I love haggis :) I get to get mine from a Gourmet shop here... I've not told the wife what's in it either
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Seems like I read just recently that the U.S. has lifted the previous restrictions on importing haggis.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    I'm 50% Scott (father was born in suburb of Glasgow). Never had haggis, & from what I know of the Scotties (pop included) they have no taste.