Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who works on old radios?

Who works on old radios?

Which one of you guy's work on old radios? I have become the proud (and I mean that) owner of an old Montgomery Wards "AIRLINE" Am radio, it was my Mothers. It is all original and it works (it does have a lot of crackle). I need some one to go through it and check it out. Check the tubes and other components (replace as needed), with the hopes of helping it last another 60+ years. If you are interested and can do it, let me know.

It is not a DOA that needs resurrection.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    Which one of you guy's work on old radios? I have become the proud (and I mean that) owner of an old Montgomery Wards "AIRLINE" Am radio, it was my Mothers. It is all original and it works (it does have a lot of crackle). I need some one to go through it and check it out. Check the tubes and other components (replace as needed), with the hopes of helping it last another 60+ years. If you are interested and can do it, let me know.

It is not a DOA that needs resurrection.
    Do it yourself , it's really not that hard. I can steer you through it.What model is it?
    Last edited by w2amr; 01-21-2011 at 04:59 AM.

A favorite toy from my childhood, and old tubester AM radio! A lot of them even have the schematic printed on the label. They are easy, but the voltages can be a bit exiting.

George is right, do it yourself with some help... get some pics on here.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 01-21-2011 at 05:21 AM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I'll give it a try, but when the Eastern Seaboard is wiped off the map.................

It is Model 84BR-1503

NA4BH '15

If you need toobs for the thing, get in touch. I have a bunch which were used in assorted old AM / AM-FM BCB rigs.

Yours for shipping.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Looks like it was built circa 1945 . Schematics are on the web , for pay , or looks like maybe a freebie at one site , though a free-trial viewer download is needed to view that .

Last edited by W5RB; 01-21-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

Are there any tricks to repairing an old speaker that has cracks in the paper?

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    Are there any tricks to repairing an old speaker that has cracks in the paper?
    Depending on how dried out it is, you could get by with a very thin application of rubber cement.

Paper towel (the brown institutional ones ) overlay with Elmer's glue , as I recall . Not pretty , but functional. Seems like there usta be "recone kits" but I never fooled with 'em .
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

Quote Originally Posted by W5RB View Post
    Paper towel (the brown institutional ones ) overlay with Elmer's glue , as I recall . Not pretty , but functional. Seems like there usta be "recone kits" but I never fooled with 'em .
    I agree with this except for the Elmer's glue part. I would suggest something that retains flexibility. It should also give the speaker a sweeter, non raspy tone.
    Anyone have something to add or subtract to soft glue vs hard glue in this application?