Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spend me some money - SMD solder/desolder station

Spend me some money - SMD solder/desolder station

What are your opinions of various brands and models?

I'm looking for something that at a minimum offers a soldering iron, hot-air SMD desoldering unit, vacuum desoldering gun (for through-hole stuff) and possibly a set of SMD tweezers.

While I don't want to spend $5+ K, I'm not adverse to buying a quality, well-made unit.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Starting at the low-priced end of the spectrum , you might want to give these guys a look . I haven't had hands on one ,but they get some decent reviews online . This product combines many functions , they offer other products as well .

http://sra-solder.com/product.php/66...ecdb99fdf0fb9d

I was initially amazed to find basic air-soldering stations around $100 , and this combo under $300 . Maybe not for heavy , daily use , but entirely suitable for some of us .
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

I used the stuff made by Pace for years. Still have a couple of units. With a two unit vac system, you can have your soldering iron and vac desolder. When needed, you can use thermotweezers in place of one of the other items, or they have the irons you hook up the vac exhaust line to, and can use it for high density smt rework. Works great with solder paste. They make every tip imaginable. You can pick them up used pretty reasonably on ebay or QTH. Some folks don't like the Pace, but I guess it's what your used to. It is very high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by W5RB View Post
    Starting at the low-priced end of the spectrum , you might want to give these guys a look . I haven't had hands on one ,but they get some decent reviews online [...] I was initially amazed to find basic air-soldering stations around $100 , and this combo under $300 . Maybe not for heavy , daily use , but entirely suitable for some of us .
    Funny thing--someone posted on the Zed asking about the Aoyue rework station you suggested. There were 27 replies and not a single one of them was from someone who had actual experience with one.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I used the stuff made by Pace for years. Still have a couple of units. With a two unit vac system, you can have your soldering iron and vac desolder. When needed, you can use thermotweezers in place of one of the other items, or they have the irons you hook up the vac exhaust line to, and can use it for high density smt rework. Works great with solder paste. They make every tip imaginable. You can pick them up used pretty reasonably on ebay or QTH. Some folks don't like the Pace, but I guess it's what your used to. It is very high quality.
    The term, "thermotweezers" just gave me an idea that I had not considered before. Thank you :)

Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    The term, "thermotweezers" just gave me an idea that I had not considered before. Thank you :)
    Is this idea anything that can be mentioned in polite company?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

It may be a new way to remove nasal hair.

Making tweezers as a set of soldering tips. Points, flats, etc.

Tiki Bearer
    the local repair guys uses only an iron and wick on smt, no solder gulpers for him