Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which would you go for?

Which would you go for?

These two amplifiers showed up on the local Craig's List yesterday, both priced at $650. While I'm not in the market for an amp, I'd like to hear Islander's opinions on which one they would choose:

The Dentron MLA-2500 or the Heathkit SB-220.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

WAY too much for either..... but, that's just my opinion. For serviceability as well as well as operational affordability stick with the 220 and run like hell from the Dentron.
    KD8EFQ ~ "With MFJ one might as well stand outside during the worst possible calamity and wair for death."

Quote Originally Posted by WV6Z View Post
    WAY too much for either..... but, that's just my opinion.
    An opinion I happen to share.

For serviceability as well as well as operational affordability stick with the 220 and run like hell from the Dentron.
    If that's the Dentron that uses the 8875 tube, then, "Run, Forrest, run!!" :shock:

Now, if you happen across a Dentron DTR-2000L for under $500, just do what I did and it'll run for a long time if the tube is in good shape. ;)
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by WV6Z View Post
    WAY too much for either..... but, that's just my opinion. For serviceability as well as well as operational affordability stick with the 220 and run like hell from the Dentron.

+1....
    Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands

The Heathkit for sure. But that price is a bit high, unless it's PERFECT, and maybe upgraded/modified.

I have an SB-221 modded for 160 in good shape, and a Dentron MLA-1200 with a working tube.
    Got them both for under $700 total. The shack does not have 220, and I've been working a lot.

I like the Dentron, but I've only hooked it up to a dummy load, and I want to baby it. They are not very forgiving of abuse. So, I've been looking for a spare tube, and will find one someday, for the right price. The previous owner put a huge fan on it. There are mods for the Dentron to switch to the GI-7B Russian tube, but you have to hack the case to make it fit.

Find an SB-200 for $300 plus or minus. The 572B tubes are very forgiving. I have one that I just finished upgrading, and want to fix some cosmetic issues. And then there is this cool as HELL 813 homebrew amp that I need to fire up soon.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    The Heathkit for sure. But that price is a bit high, unless it's PERFECT, and maybe upgraded/modified.
    The ad says this (I know nothing of these things):

Low hour Taylor Graphite plate 3-500 tubes. New Harbach fan, Harbach capacitor bank and Harbach meter board installed.
    Would that count as upgraded/modified enough to justify the $650 price?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    The ad says this (I know nothing of these things):
    Low hour Taylor Graphite plate 3-500 tubes. New Harbach fan, Harbach capacitor bank and Harbach meter board installed.
    Would that count as upgraded/modified enough to justify the $650 price?
    Maybe.

IIRC Taylor ended up as the owner of EIMAC glass tube lines, when that equipment was sold off. So in theory, they're as good as the originals because they basically ARE the originals, just a different name stamped on the glass. I'd verify that, though.

Harbach is THE source for parts, mods, and upgrades on the amps. If the power supply has blown, they'd have the replacement parts. If the parts were put in right, you should have no worries.

Keep in mind that all else being equal, it's easier (thanks to Harbach) to find parts and boards for the Heaths than the Dentrons. And I know from first-hand experience that when Dentron was in the process of going belly up, the product pushed out the door was mediocre to poor quality (for example, Westech received a linear, I don't recall now if it was an MLA or a Clipperton, minus finals and top cover... and never got them), which makes me suspicious.

So, again, all else being equal, I'd go with the Heath. Parts are available, parts rigs are plentiful, and there are tons of mods and upgrades out there. But I'd try and negotiate on the price, offhand (sight unseen, of course) it strikes me as at least $100 to $175 high.

...I miss my SB-200, but at least I know it's in good hands with N3FB. One day, I'll have another!...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Okay, thanks to you all for your informative comments. Both items are gone from Craig's List now but, as I mentioned initially, I'm not actually in the market for an amp. But I asked anyway because knew that Island denizens would have the straight dope on them and that I could learn something from them.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    And then there is this cool as HELL 813 homebrew amp that I need to fire up soon.
    I have extra parts for that - including big, honkin' ceramic band switches. May even have a newish piece of PiDux floating around, though I suggest you change the additional 160M tank coil over to a toroid. Maybe set up an unused section of the band switch to add capacitance in parallel with the loading capacitor while you're in there.

To the OP:

Go with the SB-22x and pay no more than $500. Or find a Dentron Clipperton-L, which uses 4 572Bs. It's roughly the same price.

I recently got hold of a pair of the following:

I absolutely love the cr@p outta these things. So much so that I'm thinking of selling my L7s and L75s. A Cubic 1500ZA is headed out the door this week, but it was a backup and is no longer needed.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I'd say go with a new AL-811,for roughly the same price range,new components,and warranty.

ETA
    $699.00 at AES.
    Last edited by W5IEI; 01-07-2011 at 06:26 AM.
    Ummmm, no I'm not peeing in my gas tank :)