Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No HF for me

No HF for me

Another strong storm is passing through southern California today and one of its casualties has been the rope that supported my wire HF antenna. I guess I know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow, or whenever it is that things dry out enough for me to work outdoors.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 12-29-2010 at 05:41 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Don't you hate it when that happens?
    I used stainles steel cable for it, good quality isolators because i hate climbing on the roofs here.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Banned
    That sucks. I hope you get it up quickly :rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    What you did there...I see it.

He can use a ball launcher to achieve the desired effect.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Don't you hate it when that happens?
    I used stainles steel cable for it, good quality isolators because i hate climbing on the roofs here.
    I used nylon rope because it stretches when the trees that support the antenna move in the wind. I didn't have enough when I erected this particular antenna, though, so I used a braided polypropylene rope on one end. It lasted about a year but the nylon rope on the other end is still good to go.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I use chimney's of the rows of housing so they are not probne to swaying in the wind ( i hope...) ;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I can get it up quick enough.
    (Just don't remember what I wanted to do with it).................................
    Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    Even at my age I seem to be able to get it up and rise to the occaision...
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I think I'll have no problem erecting it. And the last time I did, it stayed up for a year.

Something to consider is putting a spring on the bitter end with a weight to keep it reasonably taught, and run it through a pulley to the antenna. I've had to do that here, as there seem to be more windy days than not.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin