Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Local repeater Scene

Local repeater Scene

Now that I have VHF (2 meter) capabilities back I am noticing one thing. The activity on most of the local repeaters is extremely sparse. Even on some of the wide area coverage machines they remain more or less silent through most of the day with a little bit sporadic activity throughout the day. In any event the activity on the local 2 meter repeaters today seems to pale in comparison with the activity that was on there 15 years ago. In those days it was hard to find a moment when the repeaters weren;t busy with multiple stations checking in and operating. In those days it was rare that I could turn on my radio and not hear any activity. These days I can monitor for hours on end and hear nobody... except maybe an occasional KER-CHUNK or a CW identifier.

Anyone else noticing less activity on the 2 meter scene in their areas ? Or is it just me ? In some ways I like it better this way. Seems like in the old days it was always one or two stations dominating the repeaters day and night. On the other hand a quiet band doesn't sound too good when one needs to make the arguement that the spectrum is needed for ham radio operations...
    Last edited by n2ize; 12-29-2010 at 03:03 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I gave up FM repeater ops back in 97/98. Nothing there for me but Teh Stoopid. I moved on to 6m and 2m SSB from 1999 to 2003. With the addition of 432 SSB a few years ago and (hopefully in 2011) 1296 SSB coming online shortly, I doubt that I'll ever bother with FM again.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

The repeaters are pretty quiet here most of the time, too. I gave up on monitoring them in the shack and am going to move my 2 meter FM rig into my pickup once I get the door lock fixed. I'll probably leave the 220 MHz FM unit in the shack since I can use for the only scheduled VHF-FM net I participate in. Once I have a real income again, I'll be in the market for a used 2 meter all-mode unit (or a transverter) so I can do some weak signal work. We get 2 meter tropo ducting to Hawaii here in the summer and that seems like a fun thing to play around with.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 12-29-2010 at 03:34 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Whenever 10m Es is hopping, I noticed there is almost always a machine on 29.620 cross banded to vhf, maybe uhf. It always seems full of local NYC traffic. I chatted in many round tables for hours.

I have not used a 2m repeater for about 10 years. I had my scanner on the other day, and no traffic all day except for the occasional kerchuck. These machines used to be hopping.
    Last edited by suddenseer; 12-29-2010 at 04:13 PM.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    I gave up FM repeater ops back in 97/98. Nothing there for me but Teh Stoopid. I moved on to 6m and 2m SSB from 1999 to 2003. With the addition of 432 SSB a few years ago and (hopefully in 2011) 1296 SSB coming online shortly, I doubt that I'll ever bother with FM again.
    Surprisingly I sometime hear sensible conversations on some of the local 2 meter repeaters. And, in my past excursions into rural upstate New York and Florida I always found some very nice, friendly and intelligent people on the repeaters. My main preference , at least from home, is to operate HF as opposed to VHF FM. But, 2 meter FM is a convenient mode when i am portable or in the car. In years gone by it was also quite helpful in emergency situations. However, with the prevalence of cell phones that is less of a concern these days. My synopsis ? 2 meter FM does have it;s place. I'm just glad it is not the ONLY place.

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    Whenever 10m Es is hopping, I noticed there is almost always a machine on 29.620 cross banded to vhf, maybe uhf. It always seems full of local NYC traffic. I chatted in many round tables for hours.

I have not used a 2m repeater for about 10 years. I had my scanner on the other day, and no traffic all day except for the occasional kerchuck. These machines used to be hopping.
    Yes. One of the big machines here is the 147.060 machine. I was monitoring it all afternoon and it was dead quiet except for the occasional ID and 2 mobile stations that came on for 5 minutes, In the old days that machine would have been jumping all day long.

Well, we could try IRLP.

WB2RRA 147.165 114.8PL Node #5930

Full quieting on your HT, hmmmm?

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Well, we could try IRLP.

WB2RRA 147.165 114.8PL Node #5930

Full quieting on your HT, hmmmm?

Interesting. Seems strong here. How's it work ?

Well, we need to set a time. Most IRLP nodes require membership for the access codes to initiate a call. I can get into one that I'm a member of, have the codes to, and can call that machine.

http://www.irlp.net

Basically, it's a VOIP link from repeater to repeater.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 12-29-2010 at 10:18 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

i only patronize two local repeaters, and one of those (the more active of the two) only because it is on western intertie (?!?) network so it connects to other repeaters up and down the west coast and throughout the world.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane