Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gonna give home brewing a shot

Gonna give home brewing a shot

Found me a Mr. Beer home brewery today at K-Mart. I am making a batch of "West Coast Pale Ale" as the kick off special. I have never tried this before, so it either will be good or two gallons of fermented liquid going down the drain. I was looking at their other recipes that were in the instruction book and modified the recipe a little. I added one cup of honey and mandarin oranges to the mix. Hopefully this will increase the octane and flavor of the final product.

Anybody else brew their own?
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Banned
    Good luck, it's a lot of work.

I found an intact Mr beer kit at the scrap yard where I worked security.
    worked fine but their list of "Supplies" were a little expensive.
    Pale Ale was OK....
    Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands

Spend the money for top-notch hops and malt. If you don't, the results will be disappointing.

BTW, unless you drink a lot of beer, you may discover that it's actually more expensive to home brew than it is to just buy a six-pack when you want one. Oh, and your addition of honey and fruit to the mix are an abomination.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    You'll be getting exploding bottles if you don't know what you're doing.

Zymurgy is more science than art; like baking, it is more chemistry than creativity. I would be leery of making any changes or additions to any of the recipes/formulae provided without first having made the stuff according to the particular Hoyle who packaged it.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

This is in my future:

http://hopville.com/recipe/203391/ru...iablo-de-negro

A local beer/winemaking shop - the "Grape and Grainery" - has a kit for a Belgian Abbey Dubel that simply kicks a$$. A coworker who sits immediately next to me brought one of these in and I became immediately hooked. He's providing a bit of coaching.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    Zymurgy is more science than art; like baking, it is more chemistry than creativity. I would be leery of making any changes or additions to any of the recipes/formulae provided without first having made the stuff according to the particular Hoyle who packaged it.
    Normally I wouldn't have changed it up, but they had a recipe in there that called for honey and blueberries in light syrup. I don't particularly care for blueberries so I substituted mandarin oranges in light syrup. We shall see.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    I'm split as to this post. Although I agree totally with the latter portion I have considerable qualm with the entrada.

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    I'm split as to this post. Although I agree totally with the latter portion I have considerable qualm with the entrada.
    Zymurgy is chemistry; the various interactions of the ingredients are crucial to the success of the final product. Red, White and Blue compares to Blue Moon as a mongoose compares to the Blue Goose; just because they share some elements does not mean you may intermix them willy-nilly.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.