Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mama Ketsup

Mama Ketsup

Anybody ever try the Heinz 57 honey Ham glaze?
    Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands

Nope. Glaze my ham with a mixture of Major Grey's Chutney (passed through a food mill with the fiber removed), Coleman's dry mustard and brown sugar (dark).
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Dr. Pepper and the usual suspects..

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    Nope. Glaze my ham with a mixture of Major Grey's Chutney (passed through a food mill with the fiber removed), Coleman's dry mustard and brown sugar (dark).
    I'm comin' to your house next time you make a ham...
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I'm comin' to your house next time you make a ham...
    Only God and the FCC can make a ham.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Banned

"Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Forum Addict
    Brown sugar and coke i think is southern thing. My ma allways put to damn many cloves in and wrecked just about everything good about a ham.

Good recipe that works a number of preserves as glazes. My only change is that I like to stick the whole cloves in the score cuts at the corners of the diamonds instead of prettily in the center of each diamond. I think it gives a better suffusion of the clove oil into the fat. Just my opinion, but one based on a bunch of years of doing hams. Make sure you pull any remaining skin off the ham; slice that into 1" squares and chuck them in a hot iron skillet and crisp them for finger food while you're still screwing around with the ham. Leave as much fat on the ham as you can.

I like to use the chutney because it is not so cloyingly sweet, but the mango fibres can drive you mad if you don't run the stuff through a food mill; grinds the fruit and holds out the mat of tough fibre. Major Greys is mild and tends to be somewhat sweet -- though not so sweet as preserves. Crosse and Blackwell (alas once a great Baltimore gourmet brand, but just a name nowadays) puts up a hot mango chutney that is very flavorful, but anything but "hot" in real terms; it contains a splash of mild curry, I think.

I don't do pineapple rings and maraschino cherries and that bullshit. Just the glaze.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    I don't do pineapple rings and maraschino cherries and that bullshit. Just the glaze.
    Albi, you're always good for a smile if not a laugh along with your sage advice.