Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Turns to Ham Radio Geek for Antenna Solution

Chevy Turns to Ham Radio Geek for Antenna Solution

From a GM News Release dated 17 December 2010

Chevy Turns to Ham Radio Geek for Antenna Solution

Camaro Convertible is on his wavelength

DETROIT – When spy shots surfaced of the pre-production version of the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible, an outcry went up among Camaro enthusiasts over the AM/FM whip antenna positioned on the rear deck lid.

Quite simply, they hated it.

Chevrolet was quick to respond, commissioning a self-described antenna freak named Don Hibbard to find a way to fix it. “Antennas are a beautiful thing to me,” says Hibbard, an antenna test performance engineer.

Engineers working on Camaro are passionate to drive perfection into every aspect of the vehicle. Hibbard and colleague Gregg Kittinger had to do what some thought was impossible: conceal the AM/FM antenna without sacrificing radio reception, while not putting it inside the Camaro's windows. The two, who share three other patents, happily accepted the challenge.

“We weren’t sure that it would be possible,” said Kittinger. “Typically antennas are hidden in a vehicle’s rear window, but with a retractable soft-top roof, that’s not an option.”

So they came up with a novel approach – hide the antenna inside the rear spoiler. No one had tried that on a Chevrolet before because of the hit to radio reception.

“We responded to a legitimate criticism from devoted Chevrolet Camaro enthusiasts and in 10 months found an innovative way to improve the overall aesthetics of the vehicle without sacrificing performance and quality,” said Kittinger.

While the shark fin antenna that transmits XM Satellite Radio, OnStar and cellular signals is still present on the car's deck lid, the built-in spoiler antenna eliminates the need for a longer, separate whip antenna to receive AM and FM radio signals.
    Hibbard, a lifelong Ham radio enthusiast, says the unorthodox placement of the antenna within the body of the vehicle created a number of technical challenges, such as balancing form by preserving the car’s styling and function of unimpeded audio reception.

“Where other automakers have tried and failed, Chevy succeeded,” said Hibbard. “We hope to take what we’ve learned with the Camaro Convertible, build on it and apply it to future vehicles.”

(Not sure if this is Don Hibbard Jr. W8DBH, or Don Hibbard Sr. KB8VHV)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

“Where other automakers have tried and failed, Chevy succeeded,” said Hibbard.

Now THAT'S humility.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post

Now THAT'S humility.
    "I'm more humble than you are!"
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

SK Member (Late April, 2019) W4RLR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post

Now THAT'S humility.
    As my boss at March AFB used to say "I'm not conceited. I'm CONVINCED!"
    73 de Richard W4RLR
    Southern born,
    Southern bred, centrist conservative.
    Posting messages via HughesNet satellite internet.

Retired U.S. Air Force NCO
    Member, Sons of Confederate Veterans
    The Ancient Order of Turtles
    ARRL, SPAR, Six Meters Worldwide, Chattanooga ARC
    ARRL Accredited VE

Quote Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
    As my boss at March AFB used to say "I'm not conceited. I'm CONVINCED!"
    If you don't mind, I want to steal that one for another forum. GOOD ONE!!

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Too bad Apple didn't pay attention to their antenna engineers for the new iPhone.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

IMHO the new Camaro is the coolest looking car to come from US auto makers in many years.8)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11773

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    IMHO the new Camaro is the coolest looking car to come from US auto makers in many years.8)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11773
    Needs exhaust spinners!
    http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&e...w=1680&bih=801

Now, if they can just do something about the weight and the handling...
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin