Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beacon project and Radio Beacons facebook group

Beacon project and Radio Beacons facebook group

For those of you interested in beacons, finally I have done some more work on the PIC controlled beacon.

The rearranged second version has sprung into life, I have the menu system on the display! This paves the way for the extra features like normal/QRSS modes, electronic tuning via menu and voiceprint text.

For a while I was wondering if it would ever be completed, but now I feel more positive about it. This is a significant milestone for the version that will actually be put up in the club shack and transmitting constantly!

Link:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...d=352608283443

Check out the latest photos to see progress. Please join the group if you are interested.

Some photos for those with a phobia of stalkbook:

Breadboard prototype of beacon using PIC 16F627

Display and menu system made for editing variables like speed and the message.

Heater assembly for the oscillator module

Inside completed oscillator module - it is a Colpitts oscillator and has a PWM DAC for electronic tuning, a FET buffer and emitter follower for eliminating pull

Waterfall showing the first text from the voiceprint code - note mistake on C bitpattern
    ]

2nd prototype board with 16F628 constructed up to 2nd PA driver. There is room left for a 5W IRF510 PA and decent LPF

View inside beacon case with temporary 20m lpf filter fitted

Hastily taken photo showing it all fits without shorting out!

There's still some firmware issues to sort out. DFCW is broke and a few loose ends need tidying up, but nothing that is going to take significant effort to complete.

It has CW mode, voiceprint mode, DFCW mode and QRSS versions too, with all appropriate settings accessible via the menu and stored in EEPROM. The transmitted text string is editable too. It has a clock, with on/off timer function, a timed backlight and oscillator module heater control. Most functions are done via interrupt, the main loop just deals with menus and printing to the screen. The 2K of ROM in the 628 instead of the 1K in the 627 made a LOT of difference. I had to optimise the code a lot to fit into 1K.
    Last edited by mw0uzo; 12-16-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Fixed a load of bugs and took the plastic wrap off:

Nice and shiny!

Closer oblique view

Screen closeup

You did a very nice job on the construction.

Orca Whisperer
    Nice project... I'm grouping the book on face :) (Joining the facebook group)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Thanks for your comments :)

Was trying to code in some rotation routines for switching the voiceprint between normal and QRSS modes while also looking after baby this evening.... did not go well. Baby was fine, only a few grizzles. The asm code on the other hand got deleted out of frustration. Hopefully attempt #2 will work out better..

Orca Whisperer
    BTW, how long did it take you to ramp up on the PIC microcontroller? I'm working on another SBC solution, and looking at a PIC-based SBC.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    BTW, how long did it take you to ramp up on the PIC microcontroller? I'm working on another SBC solution, and looking at a PIC-based SBC.
    SBC? I think I'm being slow - is this something to do with your ethernet linked project?

PICs are ok. Instruction set is crap. Limited stack depth of 8 CALLs is a PITFA, especially if your main loops and interrupt routines become complicated. Documentation is good. There are much better microcontrollers out there. I used a PIC because I had a programmer kit with a 16f627, which in hindsight was a bloody crap reason and I should have slapped myself hard and chosen a decent microcontroller. Cumulatively, there is probably 3 or 4 solid weeks of coding in the beacon, because i like things being nice and having features and displays etc and not having to be reprogrammed to change anything out in the field. I also like to write everything from scratch, so no time saving libraries used!
    Last edited by mw0uzo; 12-16-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by mw0uzo View Post
    SBC? I think I'm being slow - is this something to do with your ethernet linked project?
    Sorry, Single Board Computer :)

PICs are ok. Instruction set is crap. Limited stack depth of 8 CALLs is a PITFA, especially if your main loops and interrupt routines become complicated. Documentation is good. There are much better microcontrollers out there. I used a PIC because I had a programmer kit with a 16f627, which in hindsight was a bloody crap reason and I should have slapped myself hard and chosen a decent microcontroller. Cumulatively, there is probably 3 or 4 solid weeks of coding in the beacon, because i like things being nice and having features and displays etc and not having to be reprogrammed to change anything out in the field.
    Hm... Something to think about. Thanks :)

Looks slick, Dan, nice job. SBC means "single-board computer."

As far as microcontrollers go, you might want to try the AVR series for your next project. I'm far from expert, but I've played around with them a bit and if I can figure out how to write code for them, anyone can.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Looks slick, Dan, nice job. SBC means "single-board computer."

As far as microcontrollers go, you might want to try the AVR series for your next project. I'm far from expert, but I've played around with them a bit and if I can figure out how to write code for them, anyone can.
    Thanks. My next computer controlled project will cetainly be moving away from the 16f series of PICs. ATMEL AVR looks promising, several people have recommended them :)