Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this send shivers down anyone else's spine?

Does this send shivers down anyone else's spine?

On his blog, Florian Mueller is reporting that CPTN Holdings LLC, which acquired the Novell patents (or will when and if the sale closes), is owned by four industry heavyweights: "Twitter user @VM_gville just pointed me to the website of the German federal antitrust authority ("Bundeskartellamt"), which discloses a merger (or more precisely, joint venture) notification filed a week ago (on 09 December 2010), according to which the four companies behind CPTN Holdings LLC -- the acquirer of 882 Novell patents -- are Microsoft, Apple, EMC, and Oracle. The product market in which the newly formed company plans to operate is defined as "patents"."

I feel a disturbance in the force... http://lwn.net/Articles/420177/rss

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    On his blog, Florian Mueller is reporting that CPTN Holdings LLC, which acquired the Novell patents (or will when and if the sale closes), is owned by four industry heavyweights: "Twitter user @VM_gville just pointed me to the website of the German federal antitrust authority ("Bundeskartellamt"), which discloses a merger (or more precisely, joint venture) notification filed a week ago (on 09 December 2010), according to which the four companies behind CPTN Holdings LLC -- the acquirer of 882 Novell patents -- are Microsoft, Apple, EMC, and Oracle. The product market in which the newly formed company plans to operate is defined as "patents"."

I feel a disturbance in the force... http://lwn.net/Articles/420177/rss
    Yes, especially, since much work went into many open source projects on the assumption that Novell is guarding them with a patent portfolio...
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

I'm not too worried about it--yet.

A lot of this sort of thing is being done by the big tech companies to protect themselves against patent trolls. Now, if CPTN Holdings starts suing people over infringement of any of these patents, then we've got a problem on our hands.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I'm not too worried about it--yet.

A lot of this sort of thing is being done by the big tech companies to protect themselves against patent trolls. Now, if CPTN Holdings starts suing people over infringement of any of these patents, then we've got a problem on our hands.
    Which seems to be the case, since CPTN Holdings primary business is "Patents"...

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Which seems to be the case, since CPTN Holdings primary business is "Patents"...
    Perhaps. Too soon to say, really, but I will be paying attention.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

A holding company buying and selling patents? All so common so pardon me if I'm a little dumb but all it means to me is another shark in the money pool.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Also sad to me. Novell was probably by far the best NOS on the market before losing most of the market share to the then shitty Windows NT4.
    I've accidentally swallowed some Scrabble tiles. My next crap could spell disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by kf6rdn View Post
    Also sad to me. Novell was probably by far the best NOS on the market before losing most of the market share to the then shitty Windows NT4.
    Netware at one time held over 90% of the PC server market. They had opportunities, but frankly, blew them. They could have blown Microsoft out of the water if they had just figured out how to market.

I can still recall sitting in a meeting among a lot of the USX top brass, when Microsoft came in to pitch their crap. (Note that they pitched to the brass, not to the IT guys who often knew better). At the time, they were pitching OS/2 Lan Manager, versus Netware 386/3.1. It was almost funny to sit there and listen to the MS weenies tell us all of the things that Netware couldn't do at the time (like talk to a Mac on the network), when my test network in the IT office was actually DOING those very things.

It's a shame, but it's done.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Funny--even to this day MS networks have a hard time dealing with Macs. Since Macs have used standard Unix/IP/TCP networking protocols for the past ten years, I can't quite figure that out. Could it be that Microsoft wants it that way?

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Funny--even to this day MS networks have a hard time dealing with Macs. Since Macs have used standard Unix/IP/TCP networking protocols for the past ten years, I can't quite figure that out. Could it be that Microsoft wants it that way?
    Yes.

It's the same reason that every version of Windows, Samba needs a re-write done. MS changed to protocol spec at will, and purposefully. Once, they added password obfuscation, not for security reasons, but to break Samba and Netware.

And, even with the spec published, Apple would just write their own, and say everyone else's implementation was bad