Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Project Questions:

Orca Whisperer

Side Project Questions:

So, this is a multi-pronged question I pose to all the knowledgeable folks here (And, maybe not even knowledgeable, but idea people too):

I am looking to do a solar powered, Single-Board Computer, with audio out to a low-powered 2 meter transmitter, which is managed via wifi (ie, uploading new audio, forcing a reboot, etc).

The only purpose for this SBC, is to run a small webserver for admin (PHP enabled); and output an audio file to it's audio out. Must be as low-power consuming as possible, and hopefully, inexpensive.

The transmitter, maybe 2 mW. Maybe even a watt, if power loading is minimal (This is a solar powered system, after all).

So, firstly, I'm looking for some sort of Single-Board computer, even if it's a MicroController, which I can bend to my will enough run a minimal webserver, and output audio. The webserver really isn't a requirement per se; but some sort of remote upload of the file via wifi. Any ideas? Can this be done with an Arduino, or BASIC Stamp? Or even a Spin board?

Now, onto the transmitter: I have a Scosche FM transmitter. The kind you get for a car, so you can play your iPod or whatever through your stereo. It's a FMT4R. It looks like much of the xmit circuit can be "bent" to pull it up into the ham bands. I can swap inductors and the like out. Do you guys think it's possible to mod this device enough to get it into the simplex portion of the 2 meter band? If not, are there any plans for a QRP 2 meter transmitter out there?

And, lastly, can all of this be powered via a 5-10W solar panel, coupled with rechargeables? If so, is there is project out there on the web to keep a bank worth of batteries floated with a solar panel, so the kit is powered from the batteries when no sun is out there, and the sun recharging + powering the kit when there is enough sun? Now, for this part, I'm not expecting miracles, and I'll assume I'll need to swap fresh batteries in there from time to time. Looking really to "extend" the battery life, to reduce the number of trips to change batteries out.

This project got it's roots with the WikiTX project, as a manner of proving out the concept (A self-sustained, community radio site). I figured this can be done on the ham bands, as long as I restrict access to hams, and keep content focused for hams.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

I am by no means an expert on any of this stuff but I've played a bit with the Arduino (and the bare-bones ATmega168 that powers it in other forms) and I don't think there's enough horsepower in them to run a Web server. You may be able to make it work in some other way, though; a place to look for interesting stuff that can be done with the Atmel AVR series of microcontrollers is at the Nerdkits Web site.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 12-15-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I am by no means an expert on any of this stuff but I've played a bit with the Arduino (and the bare-bones ATmega168 that powers it in other forms) and I don't think there's enough horsepower in them to run a Web server. You may be able to make it work in some other way, though; a place to look for interesting stuff that can be done with the Atmel AVR series of microcontrollers is at the Nerdkits Web site.
    Is there a way to get it running a TFTP server?

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Is there a way to get it running a TFTP server?
    I couldn't hazard a guess on that, it's out of my limited area of experience. I do know that you can purchase a dedicated HTTP server-on-a-chip that will interface with the AVR series of microcontrollers. I have never used one, though, so you'd be on your own when it comes to implementing it.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 12-15-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Sounds like an interesting project. But I must admit, i have absolutely NO experience or knowledge of doing this sort of thing. In any event good luck and let us know how it goes.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Here's something that might work. Relatively inexpensive, too--$69:

http://www.modtronix.com/product_inf...roducts_id=149

BTW, it uses a PIC processor that is probably less powerful than the Amtel AVR series which leads me to believe it might be possible to use an Arduino. However, you'd either have to find the the source code on the Web, then compile and load it or write it yourself. I don't know your abilities when it comes to writing ANSI C code for microcontrollers but writing an HTTP server would be way out of my league. I've mostly just modified existing code. You'd also have to figure out how to interface the Arduino to an Ethernet connection.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 12-16-2010 at 02:26 AM.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Here's something that might work. Relatively inexpensive, too--$69:

http://www.modtronix.com/product_inf...roducts_id=149

BTW, it uses a PIC processor that is probably less powerful than the Amtel AVR series which leads me to believe it might be possible to use an Arduino. However, you'd either have to find the the source code on the Web, then compile and load it or write it yourself. I don't know your abilities when it comes to writing ANSI C code for microcontrollers but writing an HTTP server would be way out of my league. I've mostly just modified existing code. You'd also have to figure out how to interface the Arduino to an Ethernet connection.
    That should work I think... I like I can even plunk in a daughterboard. I could use that to build the audio out circuits...

Cool little chipsets out there, eh?

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Cool little chipsets out there, eh?
    Yeah. I think there might be an audio module for it too, to boot :)