Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DX and "freeband" - then and now

DX and "freeband" - then and now

There's a decent 26-29 MHz band opening going on at the moment, and as I was cruising around with the '940 looking for interesting stuff to listen to, something struck me as a little odd:

Why have the freebanders deserted their old haunts and modes?

27.405-28.xx5 used to be the primary domain of the scofflaw DXer, and they could almost always be found on LSB. The so-called 'triple nickel' (27.555) is (or was, a point to which I'm getting) predominately USB...this by user agreement, if what I've heard and read is accurate.

Years ago, one could find all manner of activity taking place in that 600KHz slice of spectrum between the CB Class D allocation and the lower end of 10M. In addition to SSB voice, I've at times happened across packet, RTTY, CW and even SSTV communications. The 'nickel was often busy 24 hours a day - it was the frequency on which to DX. Ergo, a lot of entertainment could be had if one parked a receiver there...

Fast-forward to today. Big band opening; let's go find something to monitor. With the rig tuned to around 27.600, the SM-220 I have hooked to the '940 shows...zip, zero, nada in the way of activity. A quick scan of the range verifies this - nothing going on. Period.

Put the rig at 27.000 and start tuning downwards...it's an entirely different story. 26.000-27.000 is alive with a variety of conversations and round tables...truckers, south-of-the-border hobbyists...almost without exception using AM. There were a couple of SSB QSOs taking place but the AM crowd outnumbered them at least 50:1.

So when did the memo go out that anything above 27.4 is off limits? If I was contemplating out-of-band ops, downwards is the last direction I would consider - this given the number of military and CAP allocations in the range. Likewise, I wouldn't be playing around with high-power AM.

What gives?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

The word was that hams were getting their snickers all melty and that was followed by exaggerations of claims that hams were going to nail anyone above 27.405. Collectively and one by one, they migrated to the other switch position on their radios.
    Half truths and outright lies contributed to this movement not to mention tears shed on many ham radio web pages as well as sworn battles.
    Generally speaking, most of these users don't know what is what on the usage charts and if it sounds silent then it must be free space. Their thoughts, not mine. Now should they start to show up on de feral gubmint's radar ... Oh! Those will be dings that simply won't buff out.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Why have the freebanders deserted their old haunts and modes?
    Because now they have tickets and can be found on 10m and 75m with their bad habits and roger-beeps. :roll:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Because now they have tickets and can be found on 10m and 75m with their bad habits and roger-beeps. :roll:
    10 10 10 4 4 4 good good good buddy buddy buddy! beep bop beep beep
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC View Post
    10 10 10 4 4 4 good good good buddy buddy buddy! beep bop beep beep
    Yeah, I forgot about the echo chamber BS, too. :roll:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    You stole my thunder damn ya. Not a bad thing. If they now have a license, many will transform into good hams. I know many good people who came from that service who are now what I would call good operators. I have only heard a roger beep on 10 meters. I hate to admit it, I did not know what it was. I thought it was well placed heterodyne. Reminds me of the old Browning Eagle. I have mentioned before on another thread, i don't get out much.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Like...who cares where they go as long as they stay out of our hair?
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    My sentiments exactly Warren.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

+1

As long as they stay out of our bands, they are not our problem.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    +1

As long as they stay out of our bands, they are not our problem.
    You guys don't get it. They ARE on our bands. Since shortly after 02/2007. They're called the latest crop of Generals. You can listen to quite a few of them (and their old habits) on 75m any night.
    Last edited by KJ3N; 12-13-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Latest ClubLog entries.