Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Dealers foir HT's

Good Dealers foir HT's

In addition to fixing my old VHF/UHF FT-470 I am thinking of also buying a new unit, either a single band VHF or dual band VH/UH(F) unit. Just wondering, if anyone can recommend any reputable dealers ? It's been a long time since I've purchased and ham equipment.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

What is your budget and would you consider a Chinese model from ebay? I believe they have received good reports and if you drop one in the East River it's no big loss. You want bells and whistles an mil spec, go Yaesu or whatever. You gonna sit at the window indoors? Chinese crap.

For our business fairs i got 2 Wouxun dual band handhelds, with speakerphone and 1700 Ma battery's, and they perform excellent.
    I also have a Icom Q7, and the Kenwood Th-7E, both good, but the Wouxun outperforms both for a lot less.
    Sturdy, excellent reception, good standard antenna and good display.

They get a lot of abuse in these weeks but keep on ticking, for less as 1/3 of what a comparable yeasu/kenwood/icom would cost.

Just my 2 € cents...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I have a couple Alinco DJ580s plus accessories (batteries, chargers, etc) which are surplus to my needs.

Drop me a PM if you want more info.

If you want new I would go with either Universal Radio or HRO.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I have a couple Alinco DJ580s plus accessories (batteries, chargers, etc) which are surplus to my needs.

the DJ-580 is pretty decent HT.

If your going to buy new. I also agree HRO or Universal Radio, i had good luck with AES to. but last time i bought anything myself was damn near a decade ago
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Well, figure I'll be fixing the Yaesu so once fully repaired that will be more or less my "state of the art" radio as it has all the features I would want i.e. 2 bands, extended receive capability, documented & undocumented programming features, cross band repeater, etc.

In addition I wouldn't mind having an inexpensive, single band VHF unit. I'll look in to some of the suggestions made here.

There is an HT, Alinco DJ 580 for sale on QRZ for a C-note. Check it: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=275925

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

I sent you a PM concerning this. I am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    What is your budget and would you consider a Chinese model from ebay? I believe they have received good reports and if you drop one in the East River it's no big loss. You want bells and whistles an mil spec, go Yaesu or whatever. You gonna sit at the window indoors? Chinese crap.
    Yeah, I'm looking at various radios. The Chinese ones can be had pretty cheap I know. I've been looking around at a few and seen a few for as low as $70.00 for a single bander and about $100-$125 for some dual banders. I saw one "dual bander" made by a company called TYT that can be had for $125. Pretty cheap for a 2 band radio and it seems to have good reviews. Only drawback, according to one reviewer, is that it is not a true "dual bander"... in that it can only lock onto and receive 1 band at a time as opposed to a true dual bander that can receive both simultaneously. But for $125 who can complain.

The Alinko's look interesting, single banders can be had from them pretty cheap and dual banders for not too high a price. I am considering Alinco as a possibility. Icom and Yaesu both look god although a bit more pricey.

In any event I'm going to keep looking them over and trying to decide.

Okay, I decided to go with a new radio. I'm looking at a couple of single and dual band radios. A found an Alinco that looks interesting and a Yaesu that also seems pretty nice and has some excellent reviews. Hope to make my decision over the next couple of days and have something on order soon.