Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the heck are the following suggestions always given to a new ham?

Orca Whisperer

Why the heck are the following suggestions always given to a new ham?

Never fail, a new ham, trying to get on HF will be given the following suggestions:

* Buy a G5RV, it will work everywhere
    * Buy a dipole from Vendor X
    * Don't buy used anything
    * Don't go on VHF

The G5RV thing is ridiculous. It's a 20 meter antenna that "works" ok, on some other bands. But it's said, without fail, at least once, that it will work everywhere. Does anyone wonder why people easily get frustrated in AR, and then leave, never to come back? :roll:

Buying a dipole... EVERY ham should have a soldering iron, and a vendor of SO-239's within a few miles from them. Even Rat Shack. And EVERY ham should know enough soldering to solder some wires onto a UHF connector... Even if you melt the insulation a bit on the SO-239, it will still work, and most wont even notice it... Building a dipole is not rocket science, and they tend to be pretty forgiving at HF. It's a PERFECT new ham project. Soldering you can't screw up... Learning a little bit about why antennas work (Like how more or less, every antenna system is a "dipole" of sorts).

Don't buy anything used. I don't think I have anything brand new. Sure, buyer beware and all of that, but jeeze... People act like you MUST HAVE a TS-2000 or equivalent rig for your first go on HF. People, it's hard to screw up a tuner. It's ok to buy it used. If something is borked, fix it. Back to the "ham soldering skills" part. Not everything is hard to solder, and most things are pretty easy, even if you've never done it before.

And the killer: Don't bother with 2 meters. It's boring. It's cliquish. It's a waste. Nobody is every on. Blah blah. But, the same people telling new hams to stay away from VHF are the same ones complaining that 2 meters and up is dead...

Egads... People wonder why new hams are often a confused lot (Myself included)...
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Replace buy X antenna with: Buy a good antenna book/look on the net for homebrew antenna's and save big bucks.( that is what i mostly tell...)
    If near enough, the can get a SO 239 for free of me even some wire and i will help set a decent antenna up.
    Start simple, learn save up for a good setup later when you decided what you really like after having tried all bands, pop over annd have a twirl here if close enough or visit a local ham/radio group.
    Ah, 11 element and 23 element yagi here for 2/70 from Flexa yagi and the logs and qsl's to prove it.
    But then, i'm just some old git....:roll:;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I use a G5RV and I'd concur with your analysis; it's excellent on 20 meters, acceptable on 40 meters and not much good on any other. I've started building single-band wire dipoles to replace it on those bands.

As for buying used, I'd say: it depends. If you have an experienced ham to guide you, it's okay. If you are a lone wolf like I was, it's easy to run into trouble. I bought an Icom IC-736 used on eBay. It had a problem in the microphone circuit but because I was so green, I didn't recognize it soon enough to notify the seller and return it--I just thought I was doing something wrong. Although in the end it turned out to be a very minor problem, it still cost me $150 to get it diagnosed and repaired--and only after several months of not being able to use it.

VHF? Well, I started out using VHF exclusively. Now, I hardly ever fire up the rigs I have in the shack and only use VHF when I'm mobile. I think where you live matters a lot. On the other hand, here in the southwestern corner of CA, there's a lot of 2 meter tropo ducting during the summer months. People get as far as Hawaii on 2m SSB using relatively modest single-band yagis and 75 watts. I think that's where I'm going next with VHF, at least once I'm able to find an all-mode VHF transceiver I can afford.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 11-29-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

There is no magic bullet that works in every situation every time. The sooner you can get that across ... well, good luck.
    If you're attracted to AR solely for Emcomm, you may not be of the type attracted to science and experimentation. If that's the case, get a TS-2000 and G5RV and a dual band mobile and HT. Then send your equipment back to *** because you are afraid to drill a hole in your roof and the coax got pinched and shorted your finals.

Well, I can guarantee you that is not the advice they would get from me. My advice would be.

1) get at least a general ticket.
    2) Get hold of enough old telegraph wire, 12 gauge copper wire, or similar to build a 80-160 meter dipole. Buy some balanced 450-600 ohm line or make it. A couplke porcelin or glass insulators or some lucite to make your own.
    3) Build a balanced doublet and string it in a flat top configuration at least 65 feet in the air. If you can;t manage a flat top than hang it as an inverted vee.
    4) Buy a 300 - 1 kw Johnson link coupled matchbox... or... learn to build a link coupled tuner.
    5) Get an old Johnson Ranger, Viking 2, Valiant, Apache, Viking 500, Globe King 5000, etc. or, use a modern rice box in the CW or AM mode.
    6) On a cold winter night when it's bitter cold fire that sucker up on 75 or 160 meter AM or CW and learn to enjoy real Ham radio.
    7) As you hone your knowledge and skills homebrew an 813 rig, a 4-400 rig, 4-1000 rig or something similar or , if you want to stick with solid state build up a class E rig (use your modern tranceiver as an exciter)
    8) By all means, try 6 meters, 2 meters, 70 cm, vhf/uhf using modern stuff, old stuff, etc. Also, experiment with vhf simplex and other modes.\
    9) Ham radio is all about learning. Don't be afraid to ask questions and try new ideas.

Yeah, I know... my concept of ham radio is ...old fashioned. But there are those who appreciate that.
    Last edited by n2ize; 11-29-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Sorry, gentlemen, you don't understand the 21st century ham.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Buying a dipole... EVERY ham should have a soldering iron, and a vendor of SO-239's within a few miles from them. Even Rat Shack. And EVERY ham should know enough soldering to solder some wires onto a UHF connector... Even if you melt the insulation a bit on the SO-239, it will still work, and most wont even notice it... Building a dipole is not rocket science, and they tend to be pretty forgiving at HF. It's a PERFECT new ham project. Soldering you can't screw up... Learning a little bit about why antennas work (Like how more or less, every antenna system is a "dipole" of sorts).

<snip>

People, it's hard to screw up a tuner. It's ok to buy it used. If something is borked, fix it. Back to the "ham soldering skills" part. Not everything is hard to solder, and most things are pretty easy, even if you've never done it before.
    Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Replace buy X antenna with: Buy a good antenna book/look on the net for homebrew antenna's and save big bucks.( that is what i mostly tell...)
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    2) Get hold of enough old telegraph wire, 12 gauge copper wire, or similar to build a 80-160 meter dipole. Buy some balanced 450-600 ohm line or make it. A couple porcelain or glass insulators or some Lucite to make your own.
    3) Build a balanced doublet and string it in a flat top configuration at least 65 feet in the air. If you can;t manage a flat top than hang it as an inverted vee.
    4) Buy a 300 - 1 kw Johnson link coupled matchbox... or... learn to build a link coupled tuner.

<snip>

7) As you hone your knowledge and skills home-brew an 813 rig, a 4-400 rig, 4-1000 rig or something similar or , if you want to stick with solid state build up a class E rig (use your modern transceiver as an exciter)
    <snip>
    9) Ham radio is all about learning. Don't be afraid to ask questions and try new ideas.

You're asking them to learn and think. They're not interested. They want to put Tab A into Slot B, flip the switch, hit the PTT, and "just talk". Anything else is "too hard". :roll: :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Yeah, I know... my concept of ham radio is ...old fashioned. But there are those who appreciate that.
    I do. Today's 21st century ham? Don't think so....
    Last edited by KJ3N; 11-29-2010 at 06:28 PM.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Sorry, gentlemen, you don't understand the 21st century ham.

You're asking them to learn and think. They're not interested. They want to put Tab A into Slot B, flip the switch, hit the PTT, and "just talk". Anything else is "too hard". :roll: :roll:

I do. Today's 21st century ham? Don't think so....
    Sadly, very true for many of the modern day 21st century hams...

But, sometimes I monitor the AM window on 75 or 160 late on a cold night and low and behold. A new ham will break in and actually be interested in learning how to homebrew, modify, experiment, and/or just plain learn. Sometimes they are quite young. The good part is, they are out there. Far and few between but they are there. Don;t get me wrong, I am not saying that a ham must operate AM or CW or use tubes or even build anything. Just the desire to listen, learn, experiment, and, if need be ask questions is a wonderful part of the radio/electronics game.
    Last edited by n2ize; 11-29-2010 at 07:44 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Oh, you said HAM, not MAN.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

"Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post

Oh, you said HAM, not MAN.
    Those ladies can fiddle my bow anytime.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.