Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook Friends...

Facebook Friends...

I am new to the Facebook scene. I am still trying to figure many things out. One of those things is how the FB system tracks me and puts me together with recommendations they sometimes seem to pull out of their cyber-ass.

Some few I know. Some more are friends of friends I know. A bunch are kids of friends of mine, and friends of the kids -- none of whom do I know. I only know the little I know by having done a minimal amount of research into the FB pages of these "someones" I may allegedly know. Weird. Many, furthermore, are folks I have never heard of and don't seem to have any link with me, however remote, and they are distributed over a very wide range of the country.

Today, I noticed a "someone you may know" listing for Fred Lloyd.

If ever there were an illustration of how easily the gummint might run us down one by desperate one and pin us to cards like an eight year-old's collection of beetles, this FB thing is kind of interesting. On the one hand, it shows the positive power of the internet; on the other, however, it can definitely be creepy.

My FB jury is still sequestered.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

I'm there, because of family and friends pestering me. But I stay pretty inactive.

I let my Farm-Ville plot go to rot... I got a lot of spam from that.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

The friend suggestions often freak me out too. It's important to remember that the Fred Lloyd suggestion could have just as easily been presented from his address book/buddy lists. If you've ever communicated with him and he allowed Facebook to access his info, that's almost certainly where such a suggestion could have come from. The other unknowns are likely just friends of friends or people who have like minded interests that you presented to FB.

Banned
    I don't even pay attention to the friend suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    I don't even pay attention to the friend suggestions.
    me ether. unless i see someone I actually know and has talked to IRL/Radio/on the net.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Master Navigator
    It seems that eventually everyone will be connected to everyone else, rendering the whole thing pretty silly.

Banned
    ROGER on the gvt using this or similar to track us! The whole thing is creepy as hell. I use an alias there and still I'm found by people I haven't seen for over 40 years.
    A woman I knew in high school came onto me (with my alias) like we never spent any time apart.
    I researched a gal I knew in grade school on Google and now all kinds of come on's using her name are coming outta the woodwork.

My youngest daughter probably wouldn't have a problem with my avant garde activities on line but the older one might be rubbed the wrong way.

Another tool to control us?

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I'm there, because of family and friends pestering me.
    Her family dragged me into it as well. :roll:

Now, I've got people as "friends" because I play a couple of the games on FB. I've been purging game apps lately with the eventual goal of shedding most of these people from my friends list.

I find most of the postings on FB to be some of the most mundane, narcissistic, BS I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. I don't really give a shit about you going to this mall, or that hairdresser, or what your kids did today, or what new cell phone you just got, etc. :roll:

They could shut FB down tomorrow and I doubt if I would really notice. :bfd:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    I find most of the postings on FB to be some of the most mundane, narcissistic, BS I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.
    It does say more about FB users than many of them might realize. Or appreciate.

But we could say the same thing about QRZ.

Or even here.

As to the gummint tracking us, I have the distinct impression that when first I went on the internet (in 1986, using CompuServe and the few Unix commands I was able to master) I began leaving an indelible series of footfalls in cyberspace that have been the proverbial bread crumbs dropped in the forest.

It is too late to worry about it any longer. If they want any of us, we aren't really all that hard to find, aliases and pseudonyms notwithstanding.

It's all Al Bore's fault.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Face Book is a DARPA invention. Sara Palin is on Face Book, does that tell you something? Palin is a code word for a little Google eyed geek in the DARPA computer room. Geographically inaccurate but for a good reason...

The eyes of Texas are upon you
    All the live long day
    And you cannot get away

Do not think you can escape them
    From night till early in the morn
    Till Gabriel blows his horn

All the live long day
    And you cannot get away

Do not think you can escape them
    From night till early in the morn
    Till Gabriel blows his horn
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.