Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Firefox...

Speaking of Firefox...

I'm about tired of it (but it's soooo good!).

I'm pretty convinced Firefox has a caching issue. The longer you run it, the more memory it eats and the slower it gets. I've seen times where it slows to a crawl and Task Manager shows it using upwards of 2 Gig of RAM. Shut it down and restart it, everything's fine. Even then, it can take a minute or two to shut down. Doesn't FEEL like a memory leak.

This gets worse if you're playing on photo sites where it's caching a lot of images. On a mostly text site (like HamIsland forums), you can go a long time. I see this on both Win7 and XP.

Anyone know of a secret cure, or is it time to give IE 8 a shot? Mostly, what I love about Firefox is the bookmarks toolbar and the bookmarks in the Google toolbar, which travel with your Google account. Chrome doesn't support the Google toolbar? WTF?

Chrome doesn't support the Google toolbar?
    Google Toolbar is considered a virus by most bleeding edge surfers.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Google Toolbar is considered a virus by most bleeding edge surfers.
    Really? Must admit, the only part of it I use is the traveling bookmarks. I keep the page rank stuff turned off, etc., but don't consider myhuck to be a surfer extraordinaire.

Especially if you leave a bunch of tabs open... just sitting for a few hours, and it's hogged all the RAM.

It's why I use Chrome a lot, but looking around, we are not the only ones. Not tried yet, I downloaded this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/53880/

Home website: http://www.browsermemory.com/?page_id=28
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I use Chrome on my Windows machine and I like it--small, fast, and it uses the WebKit rendering engine which is under constant maintenance by Apple.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    Really? Must admit, the only part of it I use is the traveling bookmarks. I keep the page rank stuff turned off, etc., but don't consider myhuck to be a surfer extraordinaire.
    that's built into chrome--don't need no stinkin' toolbar for that. works x-platform, too (haven't tried it on linux yet, tho).
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Whatcher Java Version Rob? I found out my Java Update has not been working correctly since the end of May, tho it acted like it was.

Updated mine, and I'm gonna open up 3 window with 10 tabs each, and see if it still screws up.

There is rhetoric about this on the Mozilla forums...

Orca Whisperer
    Hm... Doesn't seem to be an issue on Linux. I leave FF open for days at a time, with no leaks.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Correct. Windoze Sux, of course. The JRE re-install seems to have done the trick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Whatcher Java Version Rob? I found out my Java Update has not been working correctly since the end of May, tho it acted like it was.

Updated mine, and I'm gonna open up 3 window with 10 tabs each, and see if it still screws up.

There is rhetoric about this on the Mozilla forums...
    Looks like it was way out of date. I updated it to the latest, but no difference here...