Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "This thing has weird written all over it..."

"This thing has weird written all over it..."

Aw, he's just a harmless hobbyist. It's just that his hobby is explosives.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...trange-day-in/
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Aw, he's just a harmless hobbyist. It's just that his hobby is explosives.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...trange-day-in/
    “We had people back there cutting weeds. It’s kind of a strange situation.”

“He seems to be real nice,” Garcia said. “Once in a while, not often, we talked and chatted.”

Garcia said the backyard didn’t seem suspicious or abnormal, although scraps of metal were strewed about.
    #1 indication that perhaps everything is not as normal as it appears--scraps of metal strewn about in the backyard.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

"A small mushroom cloud rises from the second of six explosions detonated at a home on Via Scott in this view looking east from a driveway on Nutmeg Street. "

reading that cap from the pic. for some reason makes me think of all them nuclear videos DUCK AND COVER!
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

It's far too strange to be anything sinister.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Chemistry, used to be a hobby when I was a kid and into my teens and you were required at some point during your "hobby hours" to blow up your lab. These days, chemist and lab are all criminal buzz-words.
    Many a hobby chemist in the past helped develop better ways of doing things from agriculture to medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    #1 indication that perhaps everything is not as normal as it appears--scraps of metal strewn about in the backyard.
    Oh shit. He's one of us.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

An update on the original story. Apparently, the guy had quite a lot of an unstable home-brew explosive stashed around the place:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...rth-county-ho/

It could have been quite devastating,” said Oxley, a chemistry professor at the University of Rhode Island. She said jars of the powder sitting out in the open could have a blast radius of 600 feet.
    Send his azz to Gitmo!

I think the worst my friends did was to blow a 6 foot crater out in the woods near the gun club. That was a pretty big deal and it was enough to make them realize that it wasn't something that they wanted to keep perusing.

I only played around with more conventional explosives back in my yoot--black powder and various easily-concocted nitrogen compounds. With the help of a buddy who knew a little more about chemistry than I did, I made up a few ounces of thermite once. That was easy, but I found out that takes a fair amount of the stuff if you want to have any real fun with it.