Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to know or something on PBS

Banned

Need to know or something on PBS

tonight was talking about how we managed to remove tobacco from the limelight but are still spending hundreds of million$ telling ourselves to eat MORE & MORE CRAP. Cheese, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

How did they manage to be so successful torpedoing tobacco?
    Were the related diseases threatening the medical industry?
    follow the money

what's wrong with cheese?

imho, the problem with hfcs is that it is (until lately) in so many foods ... in unexpected places, like in bread, so you are unwittingly consuming way too much of the stuff.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    what's wrong with cheese?

cheese on the top, cheese on the bottom, cheese in the crust, and cheese up your ass. It's not real cheese anyway, for if stupid fucking Americans were to get real cheese they would say: "EEWWW, I DON"T LIKE IT!"

imho, the problem with hfcs is that it is (until lately) in so many foods ... in unexpected places, like in bread, so you are unwittingly consuming way too much of the stuff.
    In bread it might be unexpected for you. I can't stand it, and if you want to buy something you consume by mouth without sweetener it costs 2 to 3 times the price.

If you want to buy some personal hygiene product without "fragrance" you have to pay 3 to 4 times the amount. See my bar soap thread.
    Last edited by kc7jty; 11-20-2010 at 04:29 AM.

Most "cheese" in your products is simply modified fat....
    I prefer our real cheese, or the French cheese, in fact i'm off doing some shopping in a moment for geting some of it for the weekend with some baguettes ( home bake off).

We have a very good shop here locally that just sells cheese of all niches of the globe, bit more expensive, but so much more quality... yummy..
    They also have the bake off pizza which you can yourself dress up with the stuff YOU like on top, the only way i will have a pizza, real cheese, onions etc, takes a bit more time, but the taste is not comparable with the stuff found in the supermarkets..
    Same goes for a very good butcher here, he slaughters himself, and i know him well, getting the best pieces of meat.
    Then there is the bakery, fresh bread and all you wish for.
    The vegetables shop, with fresh fruit.....:yum:
    I'll start dieting in January honestly....

You guessed it, we do like to cook, and the kitchen is used a lot here.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Banned
    Hello.

I remember delivering fresh meat to the butcher, as fresh as you are ever going to get.
    http://www.lhpacking.com/Pages/whoweare.html
    Ever seen a steak moo?

Hell, I remember going to the supermarket ( a REAL food store market, NOT a Stupidcentre) and watching them unload 2 sides of beef into the in-store butcher shop. None of this boxed beef or pre-packaged shit. Those were the days.
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

Quote Originally Posted by W7XF View Post
    Hell, I remember going to the supermarket ( a REAL food store market, NOT a Stupidcentre) and watching them unload 2 sides of beef into the in-store butcher shop. None of this boxed beef or pre-packaged shit. Those were the days.
    I can still see that at one "natural foods" store I frequent.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Some of our supermarkets still have a full butcher shop in which they actually cut meat. And we have Treuth in Oella, which is a full abattoir, as well as a retail butcher shop. Pricier than the markets, but the quality and freshness can't be beat. Also, it's Kosher ("7WD" ;) ).

http://www.jwtreuth.com/index2.html

On the subject of cheese, I can get plenty of good, real cheese here. Everything is not yellow powder or the individually wrapped sheets of used wet suits.
    Last edited by W3MIV; 11-20-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: to fix a typo, nosey.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Real cheese is easy to find. Most supermarkets carry a nice selection of fancy cheeses and such these days and there is always the internet if you happen to live in a cabin in the woods.

About the only pizza that does not use real cheese anymore are the cheap microwave things in the freezer section. Most decent pizza joints use the real stuff as more and more people demand it. I prefer the take and bake pizza as you can add your choice of toppings.

Avoid fast food, school and prison meal programs, and the local greasy spoon and you should have no trouble finding the real deal.

And like I say, if you do not like the quality of the store bought stuff......make your own.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/

Same goes for bread. Go to the thrift store and buy a bread machine for 5 bucks. Ingredients for a basic loaf will run you less than 50 cents a loaf for fresh bread with only the ingredients you put into it.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

We have real cheese at the chain grocery. Average about $17 a pound for an aged cheddar. Sits right beside the bastardized version of Stilton.