Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving menu?

Thanksgiving menu?

What are you guys doing for turkey day this year?

We are going to commit the gravest of sins and will order one of those heat and eat meals this year. I am working till 3am Wednesday night/Thursday morning and will have to be back at work at 3am on Friday morning.

Given the need to sleep we decided to forgo the customary family pig out and have a quiet day by ourselves. Going to order a turkey dinner from Safeway. $45 for a bird, stuffing, mashed taters, gravy, cranberry sauce, rolls and a pie. All cooked and ready to go.

We will add sweet taters, salad, and the infamous green bean casserole to round out the feast.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

canceled....
    Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands

Heading to the in-laws for the feast. I love turkey (the bird, not so much the country), anything that died for me and had bread stuffed up it's ass has to be good.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

I'm tellin' yah, I wish I could order one of those heat and eat meals. Unfortunately, we care for the mother-in-law who, for health reasons, has to keep to a pretty strict diet regimen--no sodium, limited refined sugars, minimum fat. Also, she grew up during the Great Depression on a farm in Mississippi eating mostly bland stuff that her father could grow and so doesn't much care for highly-seasoned foods. That gives you an idea of what the food is like here most of the time. Feh. The XYL and I sometimes fantasize about a meal of brown sugar glazed salt pork with habañero chiles...
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I suggested that this year, we stuff the bird with rolled grape leaves. The grape leaves are rolled (or stuffed) with you choice of slightly fatty meat and rice.

With a turmeric and curry rub?

(dolmades very tasty)
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I'm tellin' yah, I wish I could order one of those heat and eat meals. Unfortunately, we care for the mother-in-law who, for health reasons, has to keep to a pretty strict diet regimen--no sodium, limited refined sugars, minimum fat. Also, she grew up during the Great Depression on a farm in Mississippi eating mostly bland stuff that her father could grow and so doesn't much care for highly-seasoned foods. That gives you an idea of what the food is like here most of the time. Feh. The XYL and I sometimes fantasize about a meal of brown sugar glazed salt pork with habañero chiles...
    Hello.

If she were here she would be dead in a week!
    I had somebody explain that they and their kid needed this special diet or they would die, screaming at me!.
    This was when Orange Texas was hit Katrina and I was working to help rebuild.
    I would spend the night in the sleeper of the semi tractor at the job site.
    The rest, including little mess screech, were temps and pretty much had no place to go but the tents.
    Since they had little in the way of food I would bring food from Houston as I made that trip every night to bring supplies and take salvage.
    I would bring stuff that was easy and cheap, like a case of saltines and graham crackers and a can of instant coffee.
    If I made 2 runs I would bring baloney and bread and a jar of mayo, just enough for a quick snack for 30 people.
    I finally said the hell with it and kept away from the temps altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    With a turmeric and curry rub?

(dolmades very tasty)
    Turmeric maybe but not with the grape leaves. Curry? There is a place here called The Pita House that made pretty decent Middle Eastern food. They are located close to the community college and over the years, more people from India and Pakistan went to school there and came to The Pit House for lunch. The Pita House changed the menu to suit their tastes. In other words, they added curry and ruined everything. Who the h3II eats curry on spinach?
    The style of grape leaves I am familiar with are closer to Greek I guess.

Banned
    It's in the Salvation Army's hands, and they DEFINITELY frown on bringing your own wine, even if it's (white wine) camo'ed in a (plastic) bottled water bottle.

A little curry goes a long way, I like it best when it's subtle.

This year, I might get some fancy seafood for thanksgiving. King Crab would make for a fine feast to give thanks for.
    Maybe have a live lobster shipped overnight, as I've done that for New Years festivities. But crab is tastier, IMHO.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman