Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tape Drives

Tape Drives

Anyone using tape drive systems ? can anyone recommend a good tape system ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

For what?

My Onkyo TA-R440 cassette deck makes great analog recordings.

It has "tar" in it's name tho.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Are you talking about those old tape drives that were used in early consumer computers?
    Waxing nostalgic again?

Streaming tape drives suck, but DAT is kind of OK, if it's used and cheap.

Anybody got an old MD Data disc drive around? The one in my PortaStudio is hosed.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Anyone using tape drive systems ? can anyone recommend a good tape system ?
    be more specific please. what's your budget, what are you looking to write to tape, how large is the data, what interface do you want to use, ...

in 2010 i'm hard-pressed to recommend tape to the average user: it's way expensive, fragile, and not suited to the average user.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Banned
    DAT is terrible. There's a reason that technology was only used in broadcasting for a few short years.

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    be more specific please. what's your budget, what are you looking to write to tape, how large is the data, what interface do you want to use, ...

in 2010 i'm hard-pressed to recommend tape to the average user: it's way expensive, fragile, and not suited to the average user.
    I'd have to agree. For any practical application at home or even in a SOHO environment, and perhaps even beyond.. hard drives are just so damn cheap, I've seen 1TB drives for $69. Get a couple/few of those + some USB enclosures and a fire proof safe. Tapes are slow (not to say USB isn't), they don't have the capacity you can get from a hard drive, and.. that's about it.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    I'd have to agree. For any practical application at home or even in a SOHO environment, and perhaps even beyond.. hard drives are just so damn cheap, I've seen 1TB drives for $69. Get a couple/few of those + some USB enclosures and a fire proof safe. Tapes are slow (not to say USB isn't), they don't have the capacity you can get from a hard drive, and.. that's about it.
    I agree. Unless you have a multi-terabyte+ datacenter, Hard drives are the way to go.

But, John, what kind of tape drive? Are you looking to retrofit an old computer (The kinds that used audio tape), or is it a newer system in place for backup purposes?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Hence, the cassette jokes.

Banned
    According to some people, Carbonite is the answer to everything. I don't trust my data to an outside source. I agree on the hard drives. A terabyte external drive is about $100. Mirror a couple of them and download freeware that will automatically backup files for you.