Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight Key Night - without the key?

Straight Key Night - without the key?

When New Year's Eve roll around each year, one of ham radio's most time-honored traditions once again takes the spotlight: Straight Key Night. A leisurely rag chew with old friends and new, courtesy of the trust hand pump or a variant thereof. A fun time is had by all...

...except for those who cannot stand to work CW. For reasons that are uniquely their own, many people dislike using the mode.

What can replace it?

Could a similar 'phone gathering be orchestrated? A 12/31-PSK-31 round table? Echolinking to one centralized repeater, so all the revelers with HTs who are out and about can enjoy the fun...?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    If you try EchoLink, you'll get lambasted like the WorldWide DX Link guy...
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    ...except for those who cannot stand to work CW. For reasons that are uniquely their own, many people dislike using the mode.
    That would be me
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Your post would serve a much better purpose stirring up a CW forever hornet's nest "over there". Oh and BTW, you'd have to be a real dork taking an HT to a New Year's Eve celebration. Make that a separate thread, I'm sure it would be met with approval raising the lulz factor over HERE.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

There's a few of us that have had a chance to say "hey" on SSB, but it's been a struggle all too often. Digital works, but like CW, there are nuances missed. There's a lot to be said for good 'ol voice Ragchews.

I certainly would welcome any mode. A few of us have SKCC numbers (1068 here) so we could maybe get a QRS ragchew thing going.

I have recently put an FT-857D back into the car, with a RigBlaster P&P and a laptop. Just need to figure out a decent mobile (maybe straight) key. I'm able to "beat the primitive drum" by using the Fancy Yaesu Microphone Method. Which is just kind of wrong, ya know?

I have a cheap but serviceable Ameco key around here somewhere. :chin:
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I think that in deference to a number of Islanders, rather than have a Straight Key Night we should have a Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender Key Night.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I think that in deference to a number of Islanders, rather than have a Straight Key Night we should have a Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender Key Night.
    It's hard to figure sometimes , but we may have ONE member that can cover ALL that .
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

Mom said, "It's no mistake that transgender is the last word in that particular acronym."

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Ahem. Getting back to our regularly scheduled thread, already diverted in tangent...

If you're going to run phone on SKN, for those who aren't code aficionados, no problem.

But stay in the spirit of SKN.

The whole point is to use an old fashioned key... no paddles, no electronic keyers, and I believe the original intent was no bugs, though I may be wrong on that.

So... a phone version should mean AM. Double sideband full carrier Amplitude Modulated phone. No reduced or suppresed carriers, no single sideband, no FM, no digital voice or VoIP.

IMHO. Of course, I could be wrong.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati