Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Im sorry mario the princess is in another castle - the state of US broadband

There is no technical reason why the US could not be rewired for fiber and high speed internet be made available for everyone.

Of course, the cable companies don't want to hear this as it would destroy their industry. The satellite TV companies would be hurt as well. And most importantly, it would mean that the telephone carriers would actually have to spend money, a lot of money for the job to be done right. Instead, they will continue to do things on the cheap to maximize short-term revenue over the long-term rewards.

Why do you think so many pushed BPL for so long? They wouldn't have to rewire, especially in the rural and lighter population areas, just use the electric grid! Much, much cheaper that way!

Follow the money.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Your provider's speed is only valid if you select a server within the network. When your connection is to a server on a slow network or routed through one the test becomes invalid. Just because you select a server in a fast network doesn't say the connection wasn't routed through a slow one so anything out of the network becomes invalid. Here's the results of my test within my network.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    on the cheap to maximize short-term revenue over the long-term rewards.
    The all American credo in everything.

$40/mo for suck ass Road Crapper and that's a 12 month special.
    Last edited by kc7jty; 11-06-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Business in America runs on the premise that machines and infrastructure are a one time expense. Then find creative ways to write off maintenance costs as a tax deduction or simply outsource all maint.

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    Sorry 'IBC, I modified your thread title to be a little more specific, hope you don't mind. This is a very important subject, as far as I'm concerned. Both the state of our infrastructure & net neutrality, among other issues.
    its cool.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

See just imagine all the jobs that could be created, by upgrading our infra.

we are falling far far behind when it comes to the internet. seriously the slowest speed we should have here is 500MB/s and the fastest speed should be in the 10 to 20GB/s at least by now.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Your provider's speed is only valid if you select a server within the network. When your connection is to a server on a slow network or routed through one the test becomes invalid. Just because you select a server in a fast network doesn't say the connection wasn't routed through a slow one so anything out of the network becomes invalid. Here's the results of my test within my network.
    Yes, but if your provider doesn't have reasonable peering, what good is that ultra fast connection? There's the theoretical local network speed and then the more practical "this is what you get when we squeeze you through one of our uplinks". If they don't have the network capacity there, why bother paying for the faster speed at all?

Both tests are relevant in their own way.

Banned
    Hello.

To be fair just a few years ago dial up was the norm and fiber was being installed at record rates in the late 90s.
    Than the dot com went dot gone, the bubble had burst.
    Here in the US we require a minimum level of service across the land, universal service.
    In Japan there are places where you simply can not get phone or power, uneconomical to provide.
    And remember that Japan is this tiny island.

Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC View Post
    So. i got talking with someone today about internet speeds and how when it comes to the internet and the USA. well we just f'n suck.

http://www.dailybloggr.com/2010/05/c...-in-the-world/

Are we even in the top 10? nope.

top 20? not at all

were 28th down, and 30th up.

I guess one would expect the USA with all its "might" would be one of the top dogs. but looking at that list, id have to say were pretty pathetic.

Well at least we rank better in Internet speeds than we do in life expectancy. In life expectancy we rank about 50th.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Download
    Klaar 1624.5 KByte/sec
    (=12996 kbps)Upload
    Klaar 88.9 KByte/sec
    (=711 kbps)

I can get the 120 Mbits connection, but it's costly....

This will do for a few euro's a month ;) no restrictions or limits on how much we download.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution