Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supermarket rotisserie chickens

Banned

Supermarket rotisserie chickens

The potential here is enormous. Quality (not that Arkansas crap) chickens, herbs, spices, maybe some powered or concentrate lemon juice. But no, they have to soak the birds in tenderizer, chemicals, and sorbitol, giving them a very unfresh, sweetened, cured taste.
    We're a hopeless lot, having absolutely no taste, the worse something is the better America likes it.
    Last edited by kc7jty; 11-05-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Here's a suggestion: Roast a chicken yourself.

I do it about twice a month--just do a simple olive oil and herb rub, then stick it in a 350° oven 'til it's done. Takes about 90 minutes and they come out great.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Theres a supermarket around here that makes an excellent roast chicken. Not quite as good as home made but pretty darned good.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Here's a suggestion: Roast a chicken yourself.

I do it about twice a month--just do a simple olive oil and herb rub, then stick it in a 350° oven 'til it's done. Takes about 90 minutes and they come out great.
    Agreed, and I do, but it's nice & convenient to pick up a chicken (which is 4 meals for me) at the Supermarket (especially in the non winter) for $6.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Theres a supermarket around here that makes an excellent roast chicken. Not quite as good as home made but pretty darned good.
    Consider yourself lucky. The Fred Meyer here had EXCELLENT roasted chickens, then they "improved" them. I sent them a PM today asking to bring back the old.

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    Agreed, and I do, but it's nice & convenient to pick up a chicken (which is 4 meals for me) at the Supermarket (especially in the non winter) for $6.
    We do the Costco chickens once in awhile because they're cheap and already cooked. 4 meals is about right, and I think they cost $4.99. The white slices from the breast aren't bad at all, but we saved the dark meat on the last batch and I made a sandwich from the leftovers. It was pretty horrible and even Duke's mayo couldn't fix it. Too much fat and just didn't taste very good.

Best cheap birds here are the Cornish game hens, smoked on the smoker. Cheap, but it takes time to smoke them right. Turkeys, too, but again, that takes work. I don't add anything when smoking fowl; you can season it after the fact if you desire.

I have an old Farberware rotisserie (gotta be more than twenty-five years old) that I use for roto chickens or Cornish game hens. I like to cut an apple or two into chunks and stuff either bird with them, sew it closed and shove the skewer up its butt. Paint the outside with melted butter as it begins its dizzying gourmet jouney, lightly salt and pepper the outside, and let it rotate (as they say) until done. The advantage of roto is self-basting, as any fool can plainly see (thank you, Li'l Abner, for that very useful phrase).

Trouble with the "store-boughten" fowl is just as Bill says -- they just can't leave well-enough alone. I don't want my chicken squirted full of somebody else's idea of flavor. I prefer a chicken to taste like chicken. I think they also get soggier and soggier sitting under hot lights in those plastic tubs.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

The roasted birds we get up here are pretty good. When they go on sale we buy a bunch a freeze them since they are cheaper than uncooked at times. The wal-mart up here puts them out for really cheap just before the deli closes for the night. If we time it right we can get them for under 2 bucks a bird.

Costco and wal-mart have decent chicken, as does Fred Meyer. Safeway birds have a strange flavor to them that I do not care for.

One thing I like to do is to make stock out of the carcass after most of the meat has been cut off. Makes a great soup.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

I would say slow cooked to death before I called them burnt.

If they sit in the take home bins too long they will slow cook in their own juices. For pulled pork this is a good thing, but for chicken, it is not good eats.

If I get one that is too soft, it is a soup bird.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell