Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Hate Cars

I Hate Cars

I hate cars
    replaced 1 tire (will pop not may pop) Used at a local mom and pop tire shop
    look all over town for 15 inch 100mm rims
    replace 3 rims.(Trip back to mom and pop)
    had 1 tire,patched, balancing etc.
    replaced front brakes/rotors

had oil changed at Midas.

Midas wants to do
    power steering flush
    tranny flush
    exhaust
    shocks/struts
    Valve cover gasket
    gas line.......

did I mention
    I hate cars?
    Last edited by kd8dey; 11-03-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    News flash...

Midas ALWAYS wants to do all those flushes...It helps flush the cash from your wallet. Just tell em NO THANK YOU.
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by w3bny View Post
    News flash...

Midas ALWAYS wants to do all those flushes...It helps flush the cash from your wallet. Just tell em NO THANK YOU.
    Agreed!!!!!!! 110%

Banned
    Yeah, try walking into one of those places when you're a woman. They want to do all that AND about a dozen other things. Thankfully I did learn a few things from my father, seeing car repair cons for what they are being one.

Tell them you just had it done at Goodyear.

Many of your small, local mom-and-pop garages will change your oil at a competitive price with the chains, and they won't do any extra work or try to pressure you into it.

Both the Grease Monkey and Pennzoil Quick Change outfits down on State Route 88 run a little scam. During the oil change, they remove your air filter, show it to you, and offer to change it while they're working on the car. The filter itself you can buy at Advanced Auto Parts for about $9 to $12 depending on the car -- and that's where they get it at wholesale, incidentally. Fall for this, and they set you back $25 to $35 (which they claim is the cost, the work on the filter is "free" since they were already servicing the car). Decline, and they try to put you on a guilt trip, especially if you're female.

Well, I fixed their wagons the last time each tried this stunt. Before going for the oil change, I bought a new air filter for the car (either mine or my wife's, depending) ahead of time at Advanced. When they pulled out the filter and showed it to me, I smiled and said "Yes, I was aware of that, that's why I bought a brand new filter that I was going to put in when I got home. Would you mind, since you already removed this one?"

Gotcha! To date, they've put the new filter in without further fuss. What choice do they have? They can't very well say on the one hand that this is a "free" service that's included as part of the oil change, and then try to charge me for it...

Don't get mad. Get even.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

one of the reason i change my own oil.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Oh, thanks. Now I gotta go scrub all the oil and grease off my hands, something that always seemed to be the most difficult part of any car service...even changing the bulb in the dome light. Getting grease all over the keyboard. See? Just thinking of changing air filters, oil, or any of that is enough for all grease particles withing 5 miles to gravitate to my grubby hands!

Just kiddin'....but I grew to HATE car work. Some jobs were fun, but when I finally got to where I don't do anything except emergency repairs, I just don't miss it at all.

Read a humorous article in (I think) Car & Driver about how some mechanics can do the dirtiest job in a tux and white gloves and NEVER get dirty. While others can be a mess from just thinking about car work. I am definitely the latter!
    Last edited by W1GUH; 11-03-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Banned
    Midas is a Rip Off!

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Oh, thanks. Now I gotta go scrub all the oil and grease off my hands, something that always seemed to be the most difficult part of any car service...
    Some trick I heard....Rub hands down with non gel shaving cream. Seals pores and helps the grease/gunk from staining skin. Other trick...Nitrile gloves. Ok you loose tacticle touch but eh.. Or...just go down and get a tub of goop or scrubby orange and just do it! As for the final cleaning. I do it in the shower. I keep a nail brush in there and after I wash my hair, put a bit of shower gel on the nail brush and scrubbity...come out nice and clean.
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!