Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: W3MIV: You're on the Couch!

W3MIV: You're on the Couch!

Okay, Albi, it's your turn! Tell us all what we want to know!

I'm curious about your history with the gubberment.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

"People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Fuhggeddabowdit!

If I were to tell you all about those years, I would have to travel out to the Left Coast, find you, and kill you. I like you, Carlo, so I would rather not.

Suffice to say, I went in the US Army in the mid-sixties. All of this was over forty-five years ago. I trained to kill with a bayonet at Fort Jax, SC, then I was trained to kill with subtler tools :shock: at the US Army Intelligence School, Fort Holabird in Balto, MD. I was assigned to duty in Europe with a military intelligence detachment and sent immediately to the USA Intelligence School at Oberammergau, Germany, where I spent the winter of 1964/65 in the Alps 8) studying all things German, including intensive study in the language. Upon graduation (third in the class with a final of 92.7, I might add ) I was assigned to duties as a counterintelligence agent attached to a division HQ in a CI section. :roll:

After a few months, I was promoted to SAIC of a resident office attached to an infantry brigade and div arty in another city (away from HQ), where I conducted investigations as ordered by higher HQ -- I had three "higher HQs" to which I reported. Much of the work was routine, such as background investigations and physical security inspections, and other work was not. Some of it was sensitive. I was an inspector on IG teams on occasion, because I was cleared for a bunch of code-name programs. None of it is going to be revealed on a public forum on the internet.

My ordinary duties often involved liaison with German civil and military authorities, and I periodically participated in military field exercises in field uniform (fatigues) -- mostly I wore civilian clothes and lived in an apartment downtown after I was relocated to my new office. Prior to that, I lived in the BOQ shown in the pic on my QRZ bio.

I could have made a career out of it, and was urged to do so by a number of well-meaning and honorable friends. LBJ, however, was practicing some serious escalatio by then, so I opted for a ticket back to the land of the round door knob, where I re-established myself in my former graphics occupation and lived happily ever after.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Unusual for someone with that background to become such an outspoken liberal, Albi. That alone says much about you.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I don't necessarily agree with that appraisal, Carl. A bit of insightful reflection should ignite for you a few torches in the darker corners of security work. Consider, for example, the kinds of personal profiles that might generate inquiries as to an individual's loyalty, and then extrapolate to the kinds of insinuations that might lead to a formal investigation. The "Army-McCarthy Hearings" taught the Army as much as they taught McCarthy.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Did you ever wear civies and jump the fence and go to the east side?

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with that appraisal, Carl. A bit of insightful reflection should ignite for you a few torches in the darker corners of security work. Consider, for example, the kinds of personal profiles that might generate inquiries as to an individual's loyalty, and then extrapolate to the kinds of insinuations that might lead to a formal investigation. The "Army-McCarthy Hearings" taught the Army as much as they taught McCarthy.
    I understand what you're saying but you have to admit there were hundreds--if not thousands--of other people with backgrounds similar to yours who have not seen the light, metaphorically speaking. That's what I meant when I said it says much of you. You were able to absorb a lesson that many others have not. Kudos to you, my friend.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 10-31-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Banned
    Tell us about you writing for Perdue.

Do you still have a copy of "the art of war"?

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    Did you ever wear civies and jump the fence and go to the east side?
    I mostly wore "civvies," but my duties were counterespionage in nature, not espionage. As Tom Lehrer would put it, "zat's not my department sings Werner von Braun..."
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!