Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skoal

Skoal

Skoal... how can anyone stand that stuff. My local distributor was out of "Red Man" chew. So I bought a cannister of Skoal Wintergreen. That stuff is horrible. It has no taste. Real chew or plug has a nice sweet rich fruity taste. Sort of like raisins and molasses. Skoal is bitter, salty and tasteless and biting. I threw it out.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I've never been either a smoker or a chewer but someone once gave me a bit of Red Man and, you know, if I was going to use tobacco, that's how I'd do it.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Never tried a chew I liked. Always made me sick when I tried it.

Cigars, pipes, or nasal snuff are my vice.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Skoal... how can anyone stand that stuff. My local distributor was out of "Red Man" chew. So I bought a cannister of Skoal Wintergreen. That stuff is horrible. It has no taste. Real chew or plug has a nice sweet rich fruity taste. Sort of like raisins and molasses. Skoal is bitter, salty and tasteless and biting. I threw it out.
    Used to use Copenhagen back in the college days, 30 years ago. Nasty, disgusting habit.

It got so bad, I pretty much had to dip to get my heart beating in the morning. Quitting was even worse. I didn't feel normal for about a year, and I was only 23 when I quit. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Hi John, they make a Red Man in the little can like Skoal, and it is sweet too, or salty. Whatever you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by nx6d View Post
    Used to use Copenhagen back in the college days, 30 years ago. Nasty, disgusting habit.

It got so bad, I pretty much had to dip to get my heart beating in the morning. Quitting was even worse. I didn't feel normal for about a year, and I was only 23 when I quit. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    Back in high school, there was a group of athletes that for a long time, tried to outdo each other with Cope consumption.

When it comes to chewing tobacco I am a very light user. A single pouch of Red Man might last me months. I might chew some one day then not chew any for weeks. And even when i do chew the stuff it;s for 5-10 minutes at most.

Quote Originally Posted by nx6d View Post
    Back in those days I used to use "Happy Days" mint tobacco. I tried Copenhagan but it was way too strong, burning, and bitter tasting for me. If I left it in my mouth more more than a minute I'd start feeling sick. I wound up throwing it away. Nasty stuff. Nothing like real chew.

They must add nicotine to that stuff. In any event the nicotine content of Cope or Skoal has got to be much higher than for regular leaf chew. I can put a large plug of Red man in my mouth and leave it there and I won;t notice any ill effects. yet I'll start feeling sick from a tiny pinch of Cope after only a minute or so. That stuff is just too bitter and way too strong for me. I can understand how hard it must be to quit if once you get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Hi John, they make a Red Man in the little can like Skoal, and it is sweet too, or salty. Whatever you choose.
    Yeah, I know but I've never tried it. Round these parts chewing tobacco isn't very popular. And stores that do carry it don't stock much in the way of variety.

The obligatory scold:
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.