Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brother Carl says he's on the coochie.

Banned

Brother Carl says he's on the coochie.

So, are you college educated, to become a truck driver?
    Been a Cali all your life?
    Ever wear lipstick?
    Shave your privates?

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    Ever wear lipstick?
    Shave your privates?
    Ever Been In A Turkish Prison?

Banned
    LOL, inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    Ever wear lipstick?
    Shave your privates?
    Semi-educated. I have an AA degree in graphic design. I'm a third-generation California native but I spent a few years living in Oregon back in the mid to late 1970s. Never worn lipstick and if you want to know about my privates, you're gonna have to check 'em out for yourself, honey.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 10-29-2010 at 10:53 AM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    Ever Been In A Turkish Prison?
    No, and I don't like gladiator movies either. But I have seen a grown man naked.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    No, and I don't like gladiator movies either.
    Damn! That was gonna be my question....
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Here's a brief autobiography that I wrote for one of those stupid company "team building" things a few years back. I updated it a bit and added the ham radio stuff. Pretty much tells it all--as you can see, I've led a pretty dull life:

I was born in San Francisco in 1953 and lived there until my family moved down the Peninsula a ways just before I started school. There was nothing particularly noteworthy about my childhood: middle child growing up in the 'burbs with an older sister and a younger brother, bi-polar mother, unavailable father. You know, the typical American family.

I was a less than stellar student who barely made it out of high school and had no interest in college at the time. After leaving school, I worked a large number of mostly skilled labor jobs (a full listing of which would probably result in a file that exceeded the size limit for attachments here on the Island) and wasted far too much of my time driving fast automobiles to their maximum potential while at the same time partaking of various experience-enhancing substances with a group of similarly crazy friends. This went on for the better part of two years but after a few (okay, more than a few) close calls I decided that if I didn't get the heck out of that scene, I was was going to either end up dead with my car down in a canyon somewhere or with my ass in jail for a few years. The latter would be if I got lucky.

So, more or less on a whim, I quit my job, sold my Jag and my Alfa, bought an old Jeep pickup and headed off to a small town in southern Oregon where I made a living doing odd jobs. I also dabbled in small-scale agriculture, producing a highly sought-after herbal supplement. This went on for about five years, until I contracted hepatitis B after unwittingly allowing a "friend" pierce my ear with what turned out to be the needle from a used hypodermic syringe.

Being too sick to work or grow and in need of better medical care than I could get in rural Oregon, I headed back down to my family in the Bay Area. After I recovered, I began looking for a regular job. After a number of false starts, I ended up in the cable TV business as an installer. Yep, I'm a recovering Cable Guy! As was necessary in that business, I became what's called a "Cable Gypsy", following jobs all over the Left Coast and eventually working my way up to chief technician for the CATV system in Bellflower, a suburb of Los Angeles. I loved that job and would still be there today if it had been my choice; unfortunately the company was sold, the new owner brought in his own management staff and I was out of work. Reagan-era deregulation had begun a feeding frenzy of CATV mergers and acquisitions so jobs were scarce at the time. After some time, I managed to find one in Chico, a college town about one hundred miles north of Sacramento. Unfortunately, I ended up on the bottom rung of the CATV ladder again, as an installer. I developed a bad attitude over this and ended up getting fired after using some unprofessional language on a rude customer (who I had just disconnected for non-payment, no less).

My wife left me shortly afterwards, ending a marriage that was unwise to begin with and doomed from the start. Later, it was revealed that she had still been married to her first husband when she married me. Do I know how to pick 'em, or what?

So, in my late thirties, forcibly single and figuring that I was going nowhere in the CATV business, I got a night job, went back to school and studied graphic design, something I'd been playing around with for many years. I got my degree, went out into the field armed with only my portfolio of student work, a positive attitude and…failed utterly. The best I could do was land relatively menial production art jobs with marginal pay. I did work as a technical illustrator for a year, which was fun and reasonably lucrative, but that's about as good as it ever got.

However, it wasn't a total wash. While I was a student, I bought a Mac and discovered a then-obscure, cool thing called the Internet. There, I discovered another cool thing: the woman who eventually became my second wife. We did the long-distance relationship thing for a while, then decided that was getting old. Since she had a good business of her own in San Diego and I had nothing much to speak of going in Chico, it made more sense for me to move. So I did. We've been together for sixteen years now.

Once in San Diego, I did some design work, branched out into freelance Macintosh technical support then, when my consulting business disappeared after the Dot-Com Bust, got my CDL back and hit the road in an 18-wheeler. I'd driven big trucks locally on and off for years but not OTR. I eventually turned that into a local driving job, then turned that into a dispatching job. That's where I am now, although I was laid off in November 2009 and am still looking for work.

As far as ham radio goes, I had gotten interested as a teenager after watching a friend with his new Novice license work a CW QSO and thinking that it was a pretty cool thing. But, lousy student that I was, I didn't have the self-discipline to actually sit down and work at getting my ticket, then got interested in girls, cars and weed. I was an avid SWLer for a long time but gradually drifted away from it over the years. Last year (2009), however, the SWL bug bit me again so I purchased a used Icom IC-R75 receiver on eBay. Well, I tuned around for a month or two and found that, in the era of the Internet, shortwave broadcasting wasn't as big as it used to be. Then, one night, I stumbled into the 40m ham band, listened for a while and my old interest in ham radio was awakened. I went to the ARRL Web site, discovered that I didn't need to learn code anymore and about a month later had my technician license. I joined a local club to meet other hams which, in turn, fueled my interest in HF, so I got my general in December 2009. I'm currently taking an extra upgrade class offered by my ARC and hope to test for that at the end of October.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 10-30-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Hey, Ccchhhhhaaaaarrrrrrrrrrlllllllllllllliiiiiiiieeeee ee. Carl's a no-code general!

Sic 'em!
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    Hey, Ccchhhhhaaaaarrrrrrrrrrlllllllllllllliiiiiiiieeeee ee. Carl's a no-code general!

Sic 'em!
    Oh, for the love of...... :bfd:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Oh, for the love of...... :bfd:
    Even worse than that: He can run QRO without that "speshul" high-power endorsement...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."