Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you paying for internet?

Banned

What are you paying for internet?

IP Time Warner Road Runner light is costing me $30/mo. Was doing well till a few months ago, now is getting slower by the week. First it was youtube stopping to catch up, now the picture downloads are looking more like dial up than cable broadband.
    Talked to them today and was told "basic" is $40/mo.
    How much is DSL? Is it faster than download .74 mbps, upload .12 mbps?

Depends on your local telephone company. And DSL has it's limitations as well.

But I've been quite happy since we switched to FiOS a few years back. Initially it cost about $10 a month less than DSL. With the phone / internet / TV bundle we have now, I'm paying about half of what we used to. (Adding TV to the bundle once it became available in the area was less than half of what we were paying per month to DirecTV)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Banned
    Tnx Ron. Verizon always told me DSL was not available here for over 8 years now. The company name is now Frontier, I'll have to call them and see what's up.
    I think TV is a waste of money since almost all I watch is PBS which I have 7 channels here on the air antenna.
    Having to ante up $40 or higher for decent internet is a rip.

We just changed from earthlink, who uses qwest facilities out here. EL was about $40 p/m for a 1mbps dn and .8xx up. Qwest is about the same for 12 dn and .8xx up/ However, qwest has a special for 6 months. You can order up to 40 dn and 20 up for 19.99 + the regular monthly dialup that runs 13 or so. We had the 20 dn 10 up for awhile, but couldn't get much better than 14 dn and 7 up at our house. Ended up up just having it changed to the 12 dn .8xx up. Works well enough for streaming video. We had 5 and 7 for awhile and they seemed to do okay with a little halting while buffering from time to time. We will stay with the 12 since that does the video glitch free even with a few boxes others online as well. As I said, we are in a rural area, and outside of Hughes, Sky Net, or some other earth station, everything else out here has to use qwest infastructure.

Around 39.00 for 5 mbps down. Cable.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Banned
    Rural here too. That's why no DSL available. Will have to ask how fast the $40 Road Runner is.
    Last edited by kc7jty; 10-28-2010 at 11:31 PM.

ADSL2 20 Mb up 1 Mb down, stable and fast for 30 Euro's a month including phone costs.
    We can get the 100 Mb up/20 Mb down for 50 Euro's, ( glass fiber) but this is fast enough for us.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I have FiOS here. I get a single bill from Verizon that includes everything but a daily dishwashing fee (internet, TV with three HD boxes, three cell phones, high-speed cell modem with 6GB monthly bandwidth, hard-line fax and God-only-knows-what-else they may be burying in the bill's dozen or so pages). I think the internet portion is $50 or $60 for 32 down and 3 up. The actual performance varies -- I have gotten as high as forty down, and sometimes less than twenty.

Hard-and-Fast Internet Provider Rule Numero Uno -------------> The lower the density of potential clients on any particular line, the poorer the service and higher the cost will be. You are paying the "Idaho Premium" -- the FCC has been howling at the moon about rural broadband for quite some time (remember the BPL brouhaha?), but unless and until providers see some real profit potential (read density) you guys out there in ex-urban and rural locations are going to continue to suffer hind tit.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Banned
    Hello.

I agree on the density thing.
    Out in the country we had a single line phone that was $70 a month.
    There was a tube type amplifier in a box under the counter that made things work.
    Now that the land has become developed things have changed.
    We have city water and sewer and phone and electricity and roads, the whole bit.
    They have a HOA that we are excluded from but are in the gated area.
    Internet is free along with some other services.

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    ADSL2 20 Mb up 1 Mb down, stable and fast for 30 Euro's a month including phone costs.
    We can get the 100 Mb up/20 Mb down for 50 Euro's, ( glass fiber) but this is fast enough for us.
    Shouldn't that be 20 down and 1 up?

On Comcast here. It's a bundle deal, so they don't split it out on the bill, but it's probably about $50 for 20 down and 3 up, cable. Bill is about $185 for Inet, VOIP telephone (free LD with all the bells & whistles) and HDTV with one DVR.