Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple make inroads into Microsoft's territory

Apple make inroads into Microsoft's territory

Not sure what you all think of Kim Komando, but she mentioned in a quick radio blurp that if Microsoft doesn't get it in gear they will be the next IBM.

I have tried their computer's out a little in the stores as well as a co-worker showing me the difference between his Apple laptop and MS ran desktop. Apple seemed to run better...

My hold up is the fact I use a lot of MS products (ie MS office pro & Outlook) the MS version for Apple isn't getting very good reviews due to compatibility issues. Plus their computers are much more expensive which leaves me with MS ran puters as the only choice.
    WVM
    Kilo Zero West Virginia Mountaineer

Chad Eagle
    Ogden, UT
    Montani Semper Liberi - "Mountaineers Are Always Free"
    June 20, 1863

That is all!

SK Member (Late April, 2019) W4RLR's Avatar
    The new Microsoft Office for Mac is supposed to be 100 percent compatible with the Windows version. For example, the Mac version now has Outlook instead of Entourage.
    73 de Richard W4RLR
    Southern born,
    Southern bred, centrist conservative.
    Posting messages via HughesNet satellite internet.

Retired U.S. Air Force NCO
    Member, Sons of Confederate Veterans
    The Ancient Order of Turtles
    ARRL, SPAR, Six Meters Worldwide, Chattanooga ARC
    ARRL Accredited VE

On an interesting and slightly related note, today Apple reported it's financials for the last quarter. It has now passed Microsoft in gross revenue (although not in profit margin, which you would expect since MS sells mostly software).

Funny how, not all that long ago, people were giving up Apple for dead.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Microsoft has got clouds in their eyes.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Probably won't be a serious contender for the desktop until they allow OSX to run on general PC hardware
    I've accidentally swallowed some Scrabble tiles. My next crap could spell disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by kf6rdn View Post
    Probably won't be a serious contender for the desktop until they allow OSX to run on general PC hardware
    That would make Ballmer crap his pants.

Komando's show is crap. Nuff said.

That will never happen. Remember that Apple is a hardware company, not a software company like Microsoft. OS X is what differentiates Apple's products from generic PC hardware. Eliminating that distinction would kill their Mac business.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    On an interesting and slightly related note, today Apple reported it's financials for the last quarter. It has now passed Microsoft in gross revenue (although not in profit margin, which you would expect since MS sells mostly software).

Funny how, not all that long ago, people were giving up Apple for dead.
    Apple would have died had Jobs not stepped back in, and turned the company around. While, I harbor not much love for Apple (Due to their proprietary nature), they surely know how to design products people want, as long as they have the right leadership.

Wont happen. The thing that makes Apple so successful is their complete control over the experience. Which is why everything "Just works". They control the hardware and software. It's the same reason Windows and Linux have compatibility issues with hardware and software: Neither control the stack from top to bottom. Oracle is learning this quickly. They now control the hardware, the OS, and the database stacks, which if done right, will quickly prop Oracle into THE database solution, killing MSSQL (And, unfortunately, MySQL).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Banned
    Hello.

Yes, Jobs is a critical player in the success of Apple.
    Frequently we get way overpriced executives who do little or nothing for the company.
    GM was a classic example, several key people simply had to go.
    The Dallas Cowboys was another example, Tom Landry was no longer a viable solution to the problem but the way he was cut leaves questions however you or I can expect to be cut in just this manner.
    Hardware is now produced where it is cheapest to produce and once China and the rest of the world get their synergy you will see another Apple and another IBM.