Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TO W3MIV reference N4NW in his QRZ logbook

TO W3MIV reference N4NW in his QRZ logbook

Happened to parouse through some QRZ logbooks and came across this one

2006-03-19 12:06:00 W3MIV 80M 0.000 SSB FM19oh Albert J Schramm

Did not know you had made contact with N4NW back in 2006. I know Tom Gregory and lived about a mile from his house in Stafford, Virginia. Also went to high school with his daughter although we only had US government together as it was our senior year back in 1992.

Small world eh?
    WVM
    Kilo Zero West Virginia Mountaineer

Chad Eagle
    Ogden, UT
    Montani Semper Liberi - "Mountaineers Are Always Free"
    June 20, 1863

That is all!

I didn't know that the QRZ logbooks could be perused by anybody.

So much for the illusion of privacy.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Funny how that works, Chad.

On the same vein, I was calling CQ on 10 yesterday and K4UUG answered. He used to be N1OBN on the zed and we used to fight constantly and furiously. He's the guy that posted those really disgusting pics of people jumping out of the World Trade Center and calling the Zookster the "C" word, which only earned him a temporary ban. I just assumed the guy lived in a cave somewhere in South Carolina and stored his urine in jars a la Howard Hughes. I had him pegged as a serial asshole.

Damned if he wasn't a nice guy on the air. He remembered me after I gave him my old callsign and ragged on him for his 'zed postings. I COULD NOT believe it. I'm starting to think the internet really sucks ass.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nx6d View Post
    Damned if he wasn't a nice guy on the air. He remembered me after I gave him my old callsign and ragged on him for his 'zed postings. I COULD NOT believe it. I'm starting to think the internet really sucks ass.
    It's this at work:

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I didn't know that the QRZ logbooks could be perused by anybody.

So much for the illusion of privacy.
    Only the first 5 - 10 or so entries Ron. The rest cannot be seen unless the person who "owns" that log makes the changes in their logbook control panel. I knew the whole privacy thing would not happen going in since it's nice to have a backup to my hardcopy logs. Any plans for the Island to have a logging system like this unless they already do and I am just not seeing it?
    WVM
    Kilo Zero West Virginia Mountaineer

Chad Eagle
    Ogden, UT
    Montani Semper Liberi - "Mountaineers Are Always Free"
    June 20, 1863

That is all!

I don't even use the QRZ logbooks but stuff has shown up on my page there anyhow. Kind of ticks me off, really. In fact, the whole QRZ logbook thing itself ticks me off--it's nothing more than an attempt to hurt eQSL.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

it's nothing more than an attempt to hurt eQSL.
    RAAAWRRR! Fred Smash!

I do not object to anyone viewing my logbook. In fact, I encourage it. While the bulk of my logging is now done automatically (rig control and logging with HRD makes it easy to get accurate call, time, frequency and mode entries with the click of die Maus) I did not always do so. I used to log in paper -- using those ubiquitous ARRL spiral bound logs.

I am not embarrassed to admit that sometimes the DX is such that a form of "buck-fever" snaps attention faster than a pheromone -- Peter I Island, for example, when I heard my call come back after calling relentlessly, barefoot, through an incredible pileup. Errors, like shit, happen. For some of us, more errors than shit sometimes. Having anyone vet their calls in my log and point out a potential variation is useful, and I encourage it. I am not much of a QSL collector, but I do prize a reasonable state of accuracy.

Not to press the point too far, but this is ONE area where the internet is really beneficial to us all.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I don't even use the QRZ logbooks but stuff has shown up on my page there anyhow. Kind of ticks me off, really. In fact, the whole QRZ logbook thing itself ticks me off--it's nothing more than an attempt to hurt eQSL.
    I use eQSL as a courtesy to those who want it. I have set the logger to upload to eQSL automatically as each entry is logged. Gets it out of the way. To the extent that I endorse the highest degree of integrity on that system, I am registered as "Authenticity Guaranteed." I don't know, however, how valid is their system of verification. I trust that most hams who use it are honest.

I do not particularly value eQSL, however, being an inveterate Logbook of the World user. Fortunately, LoTW is growing fairly well, and it is attracting furriners steadily -- and for them, it is a real PITA. I am not, however, an "award gatherer," as are some folks who chase after DXCC or WAS avidly. I have worked all fifty states, but a few remain unconfirmed -- ironically, DE -- right next door -- is one of them that is unconfirmed on LoTW, though I have QSL cards from DE hams that I could shag along to "the fat guy" who always works cards at hamfests here. I probably have enough in both LoTW and cards to qualify for WAS, but have not bothered with it. I know I am short a few DXCC credits -- I have sixty-eight confirmed on LoTW, and a bunch of cards here that are from entities not confirmed there -- including China and Taiwan. All of these would be "mixed," of course.

I stopped using the Bureau; it became too much of a PITA sending off stamped envelopes only to receive a load of dreck interlarded with SWLs, Now, if anyone wants a real card, they can send direct and I will be happy to oblige, paying full postage -- no greenstamps required.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by KØWVM View Post
    Happened to parouse through some QRZ logbooks and came across this one

2006-03-19 12:06:00 W3MIV 80M 0.000 SSB FM19oh Albert J Schramm

Did not know you had made contact with N4NW back in 2006. I know Tom Gregory and lived about a mile from his house in Stafford, Virginia. Also went to high school with his daughter although we only had US government together as it was our senior year back in 1992.

Small world eh?
    Interesting sidelight on my comments above. I looked up the log entry and find no frequency logged -- only says 80m SSB. That's the kind of tiny detail that now bugs me about my previous attempts at loggging, whether by 'puter or paper. In '06 I was definitely using the 'puter, but I don't now remember what program it might have been. I've tried a bunch, and I've lost logs moving from one to another to another. That's the real value of keeping copies in the clouds. When I was recently having trouble with cloning and replacing a HDD on this computer, the existence of the LoTW files became more important than their mere QSL value.

As it is, I have just under 2,900 entries in my current log. There are still a bunch -- a few hundred at least -- on paper that have not yet been transcribed. Mañana. Maybe. ;)
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!