Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I might be absent for a while...

Orca Whisperer

I might be absent for a while...

Due to a critical event in my life.

I think I may be falling in love with the crystal radio craze as much as my son (Who, BTW, thinks I'm Maguiver. He thought I made the crystal headphone out of a light bulb )

So, I may go dark for a while due to coil winding, op amp construction, and other assorted tinkering :) Now I know why there are still tons of SWL's out there

So, now I have a two-fold goal here: Start work on the front-end of my homebrew transceiver (I figure it'll take about 5 years from design to completion), and build a "steampunked" crystal set for both home and office (Brass components, etc).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Crystel Set? Op amp construction?
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    21st century crystal radios use op amps.

Real Men Of Genius use germanium transistors as audio amplifiers in their crystal sets. They build batteries to power the transistors from discarded pill bottles, lemon juice, copper and lead wire.

I have a sheet-load of NOS small-signal germaniums. Will throw a handful in with the diodes and the -232 if you wish.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

As Charles will tell you, real men build their crystal radio sets out of dirt and save the rocks to eat later. Right, Charles?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Real Men Of Genius use germanium transistors as audio amplifiers in their crystal sets. They build batteries to power the transistors from discarded pill bottles, lemon juice, copper and lead wire.

I have a sheet-load of NOS small-signal germaniums. Will throw a handful in with the diodes and the -232 if you wish.
    Sure, just let me know what my tab ends up being before you ship it

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Yup. This is a "building block" on my way to a fully home brewed transceiver. Trying to "get back to our roots" in ham radio stuff :)

Wish I still had the one I built as a kid in the Scouts. Genuine cat whisker and crystal glued in a tiny cup. We still used the Quaker Oats box, though. Can't stand oatmeal, but the xyl loves the stuff, and I still can't look at a QO box without it bringing up memories of those bakelite USA surplus cans with the two "meter" plugs on the fabric-covered leads. Wish i still had them, too.

Alas, the homestead was sold whilst I was still in my Uncle's employ in Northern Bavaria. Seems everything was given away, not only stuff like that, but also two entire Lionel o-27 trains sets, one American Flyer O-gauge set (from the 1930s!) and a Hallicrafters S38 -- or thrown out. I didn't find out about any of it until I returned to the Land of the Round Doorknob in 1967.

Last edited by W3MIV; 10-26-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    Wish I still had the one I built as a kid in the Scouts. Genuine cat whisker and crystal glued in a tiny cup. We still used the Quaker Oats box, though. Can't stand oatmeal, but the xyl loves the stuff, and I still can't look at a QO box without it bringing up memories of those bakelite USA surplus cans with the two "meter" plugs on the fabric-covered leads. Wish i still had them, too.

Alas, the homestead was sold whilst I was still in my Uncle's employ in Northern Bavaria. Seems everything was given away, not only stuff like that, but also two entire Lionel o-27 trains sets, one American Flyer O-gauge set (from the 1930s!) and a Hallicrafters S38 -- or thrown out. I didn't find out about any of it until I returned to the Land of the Round Doorknob in 1967.

Ouch!!!! That last paragraph hurts real bad -- almost brings tears to my eyes. Sympathies for that one, Albi.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Banned
    So you're saying you surf the web and build crystal radio sets at work?