Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damn computers!

Banned

Damn computers!

I have two netbooks, both Acer Aspire Ones. One is an 10751h and the other is a smaller 532h. I prefer the 751 because it has a bit bigger screen and keyboard. It has Ubuntu on it.

The 532 only has Windows on it and I use it pretty much only for accessing my real estate mls site which requires windows and IE.

Anyway, the latest "upgrades" to Ubuntu and Flash made it so video was ungodly slow and loading of any flash on a website caused the CPU to load to 100%. Tried a lot of crap to fix it, to no avail. I decided to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 from 9.04 and see if that fixed anything, as it got so bad it was practically unusable anyway. 9.10 worked great except no sound. So I decided to further upgrade to 10.04. Big mistake. Now the damn thing is hosed.

I could probably fix it but I decided to try a new distro. Something NOT Ubuntu based. Trying Arch linux now. Already tried Debian but it's got issues. Arch has an Acer Inspire Network edition that's supposed to have everything working out of the box. The biggest problem with the 751 is the weird 1366x768 widescreen display and the quirky GMA500 video driver. Love these little Acers but sometimes getting stuff to work on them is a pain. I can't complain too much though, I've had the 751 for a year now and it worked flawlessly this entire time until a few days ago. But right now I am smashing my box (that's the equivalent of you guys tearing your hair out) trying to get this fixed.

Try Fedora. But remember, if you are going to keep current you are going to be involved in a rapid upgrade cycle.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Try Fedora. But remember, if you are going to keep current you are going to be involved in a rapid upgrade cycle.
    I usually do keep up with upgrades but in this case, all the documentation available for the 751 indicated that Ubuntu 9.04 was the only distro known to be able to work correctly on it. So I purposely held back upgrading for an entire year, which is very unusual for me. Usually I apply upgrades immediately.

I think by upgrades he means, fedora versions have a 6 month turnover cycle, so at a relatively quick point you have to upgrade the whole thing, as the yum updated don't support older versions.

But they do pretty much have the latest, greatest everything.
    I've accidentally swallowed some Scrabble tiles. My next crap could spell disaster.

Orca Whisperer
    Kelli, you should be fine with 10.04. I have Ubuntu 10.04 on my Acer netbook. BTW, try either Xubuntu, or the Netbook remix.

BTW, what's hosed?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kf6rdn View Post
    I think by upgrades he means, fedora versions have a 6 month turnover cycle, so at a relatively quick point you have to upgrade the whole thing, as the yum updated don't support older versions.

But they do pretty much have the latest, greatest everything.
    Cool, thank you. I'm trying different distros to see what I like. A long time ago I used Fedora and it was good then.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Kelli, you should be fine with 10.04. I have Ubuntu 10.04 on my Acer netbook. BTW, try either Xubuntu, or the Netbook remix.

BTW, what's hosed?
    Video. It hosed so bad I can't even get it to drop to a tty login. I could go in and edit the xorg.conf or whatever needs to be changed, but I have the feeling after what I've read, that other things won't work anyway. My A0751h with the GMA500 is a really quirky beast.

i use ubuntu 10.04 on the server. but vector linux KDE3 on the tower... me likes vector
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    Video. It hosed so bad I can't even get it to drop to a tty login. I could go in and edit the xorg.conf or whatever needs to be changed, but I have the feeling after what I've read, that other things won't work anyway. My A0751h with the GMA500 is a really quirky beast.
    Ok, I think I know what had happened. I've got the same issue on my Packet computer. 10.04, no video. At all. Nada. I had to back down to 9.04

Orca Whisperer
    Oh, and for the alternative linux: CentOS. The stability of an enterprise distro, without the price tag.